Not even diagnosed but have been learning

I don’t even know where to start. My head is always active, I zone out in conversations like it will seem like I’m listening and I’m really trying to and then before I’ve even realised I’m already thinking about something else when that person is talking to me. Then I realise I’m doing it and try to tune back into the conversation not knowing how much I’ve missed. I find it hard to focus on 1 thing at a time. I get overwhelmed at simple things that others wouldn’t. Sounds a bit like ADHD but I wouldn’t even be able to get tested because of the Karen on the reception desk at the drs. I dont feel like a normal 27/28 year old you know thriving at life.

5 Likes

Hello @LooShaw

Welcome back :hrtlegolove:

Why can’t you get an appointment for an evaluation? Is there more to the story then just a difficult receptionist?

You could find a different doctor to see you, you don’t have to settle with your current doctor. There is lots of help out there for you.

2 Likes

I’ve only been with this surgery a few months and at first they were great. But then 2 weeks ago I started getting earache in the same ear that ive have problems with for years so I called them and the receptionist told me its probably just viral and that i should go to a pharmacist or chemist and they will have the tools to look in my ear and see if there is an infection…this was a lie because i went to 3 different places and they all said they dont do things like that and only a gp can help. I called them back the next day and they said there was no appointments left. But then with the ADHD bit, its made me feel as if i cant go to them because i probably won’t get past reception. Maybe i can try again with them and see if i get anywhere with it or speak to my manager and see if they can help in any way because surely there must be other ways to be assessed. It would be good to be assessed because it might help me look at things differently.

2 Likes

That was very unprofessional of her to diagnose you and give you false information. If it were me, I would prob talk to her boss, because she was definitely out of line.

A psychologist, psychotherapist, neurologist, and some physicians can diagnose ADHD. You can look around and find someone who specializes in ADHD (too), I’m not sure that a surgeon can diagnose you and they would prob refer you to someone else if that’s the case. I’m not too sure I would want to go back to that office and deal with the receptionist again after the experience you had.

1 Like

I’m really sorry that you’re having a hard time with the dr/receptionist. One thing I have found really useful is online appointments and bookings and even online reviews. Sometimes different drs are really good in different areas and specialities. I sometimes go to one dr about one thing and then another about different things. Because I know they understand those separate issues and that I’ll get what I need and benefit from it.
It’s okay to look around and find someone who suits you and build a good rapport with them. And it’s also okay if they don’t work out to keep looking. Thank you for sharing with us here and please let us know how you are doing

Hey Looshaw. First off, congratulations for being in this position of identifying current barriers in your life, and thinking about ways to be helped and supported. I can imagine that the way this receptionist addressed your ear issue must have been quite frustrating, if not discouraging. It can be already difficult to come to the decision that an assessment may have to be done, and any interference with this process is not really welcome. It sounds like this receptionist was either incompetent for the wrong information they provided, or they were misguided regarding what to respond in your situation. All in all, you can’t really lose anything by trying again to contact them and ask all the information you need. At best, you will be helped and receive clear guidance, at worst they won’t be of any help, and you will need to try somewhere else. Keep trying to push some new doors and please don’t let yourself discouraged throughout this process. It’s worth it, as any step towards the support you need will give you more clarity. You got this. <3

1 Like

Hi LooShaw! It’s definitely unprofessional from the receptionist to try to “diagnose you” the way they did, and I’m sorry they didn’t have any appointments for you when you called back. From the sounds of it, it does seem like you have a choice as to where you go to see a doctor (you mention you’ve only been going to that surgery for a few months, so you must’ve been going somewhere else before, right?). Is there anything preventing you from trying to get an appointment somewhere else? Keep us updated!

1 Like

I know it’s a bit of an old post-- but honestly, in this day and age; even primary care doctors can help with an ADHD diagnosis. I believe there is a big possibility that you could have ADHD, but it sounds a lot like you’re suffering from really bad dissociation spells. You could always bypass the receptionist and say you’re wanting to see your doctor for a different reason, and then tell the nurse when you’re in the room with her that there’s other things you’d like to talk to your doctor about. If they can’t test you for ADHD, ask for a referral. If that can’t work out, get ahold of your insurance. They’ll steer you in the right direction of providers you can do to for getting a diagnosis.

Wishing you the best of luck!

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.