Overwhelmed by Anxiety

I feel overwhelmed with anxiety to the point where it’s difficult for me to even function. It feels difficult to breathe and my chest has been feeling tight. I weaned myself off of anxiety medication last year, but it’s gotten to the point where I needed to schedule an appointment with my doctor to get back on it. I’m a pre-med student and the thought of the course work and standardized tests I would need to accomplish in medical school frightens me even though I know I’m capable of doing it. I thought medicine is what I wanted to do, but the anxiety is so great that it’s to the point where I’m not sure I want to keep going with this career path. However, I feel stuck. I hold a degree in biology and I’m scared that the low amount of money I’d be earning wouldn’t be enough for me to do the things I want in life and live comfortably. I feel as though I’d feel just as much anxiety if I went down that path too. So no matter what I do, I’m faced with incredible amounts of anxiety. I’m not sure what my passions are in life. I feel as though I enjoy nothing. I have no place to turn and it’s debilitating.

4 Likes

Keep pushing my friend <3.
We are here for you along your journey. I am so sorry you have to deal with all this stress and anxiety but I know you can get through it. Med school is hard so don’t blame yourself for being stressed its totally normal. Remember you can always come here for help and we will listen. I’m not a doctor or a therapist so I can’t give you an educated advise but maybe try breathing exercises or maybe making a list of happy things and pull it out when you get stressed? idk maybe.
You are loved, you are beautiful, and you are valuable.

4 Likes

Hey @wertyuiop, thanks for being here and sharing! I hope that this can be a community where you feel welcomed and loved. I am so sorry to hear about the anxiety you are going through.

I also experienced a lot of anxiety in school and can relate at least a bit with what you are going through. That can be such a hard headspace to be in, so I am so sorry. It feels like there is just always so much pressure and it is so overwhelming. You are so strong. Something I am trying to do to combat that is practicing mindfulness and identifying lies that I believe about myself that are causing this anxiety such as I am not enough or that I am a failure.

I would also say I am in a somewhat similar position where I am trying to figure out what to do with my life and what my passions are. Especially with the last year in quarantine everything has felt a little dull for me and has been harder to find joy. These can be big decisions and just really overwhelming.

I guess all of that to say that you are not alone and this is a place that understands and cares for you. We want the best for you, so I would encourage you to continue to reach out here and feel free to directly message me. I think community can help with anxiety. I know that it has been a help for me, so I hope it can for you as well.

You are loved :black_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for reaching out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the response :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey!! So glad you reached out here friend, welcome! As someone who has dealt with anxiety for as long as I can even remember I totally feel your pain. My anxiety has gotten to a severe point this past year due to some trauma so I relate to feeling like you cannot function / feeling like your chest is tight. It is really nerve racking & a scary feeling when you feel as though you are not quite sure what you want to do. I think maybe you need to do some soul searching and try to figure that out ? Perhaps that could be a root of your anxiety and when you get your mixed feelings organized you could feel better :slight_smile: perhaps with the meds even therapy could help too. If not I definitely recommend you do some journaling and get outside into nature ! Its so healing and refreshing. Hold fast friend! Keep us updated

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.