Rant: Boss didn't show any care about my dying dog, who passed away days after

Two years ago, I woke up from my sleep one day to the sound of my favorite dog crying. Earlier that morning, my dad took her on a walk when one of my neighbor’s dog bit her. The neighbor didn’t leash the dog and left his door opened. When his dog saw my dog, his dog ran out of the house and attacked her. After that, she was severely injured. She couldn’t walk and had a big open wound on her thighs. I took her to the hospital so they could fix her. The vet told me that they can do an operation, but there’s a risk that the anesthesia could kill her. I accepted the risk and told them to proceed. Sadly, a few days later, she passed away from the anesthesia.

This was the first time I’ve experienced death in the family from someone very close to me, and I had a lot of grief. It took months for me to get over it, but I’m in a better state now, and I still miss my dog. I also forgave that dog owner and at least he contributed to her medical expenses. We’re on good terms to this date.

You know who I will never forgive? My former boss. During the time my dog was here, I asked my boss if I could take some time off to take care of my dog because no one was home to do so. This dude had the audacity to text me a 1000 word essay to me (not literally 1000 words but it felt like it) about his life story, saying how much he sacrificed for his business to keep it running. He also said that my absences from work are concerning. Wtf?! I was absent from work a lot because one of my friends had COVID at the time and I’ve been in close contact with them recently, and I didn’t want to come to work so I could potentially spread it to more people!

I was furious. I didn’t read all of that shit and reluctantly said that I’ll come to work. One day I was working, I remember receiving the call from the vet. That was when I heard the news that my dog passed away. I started crying at work. The manager told me I could take the rest of the week off. I was so fucking angry that I had to be at work to know that my dog died rather being at home. My boss showed little care about the situation. Not even a text saying “how are you?”

I can’t believe that I continued working for that asshole. I was stuck in this job because I didn’t want to be unemployed and I had no other opportunities lined up. I’m glad I found another job and I don’t have to deal with his bs

2 Likes

Hi @Buraiyen,

I can understand your frustration towards your boss. If my pet died, I need a few months to grief too. It’s totally normal for humans to grief that someone that you loved passed away.

I worked with a lot of crappy bosses in the past. Your boss sounds like an awful person to work with. The boss needs to remember that your business wouldn’t be successful without employees. No respect toward employees means the worker will quit. Employees are also human beings and have life outside. I don’t get why your boss will be frustrated to not work due to having COVID & grief. That is kind of messed up. The manager supports and understand your situation.

That’s awesome that you found another job. Sometimes you got to quit due to horrible boss. I hope you enjoyed your new job.

Hi @Buraiyen

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry you went through this, and I am so sorry for your loss. This must have been very difficult on you. I completely understand the anger you are feeling towards your boss. Your boss should have shown you care and empathy during a hard time like this. I think your old boss must have learned a really important lesson out of this situation: to be more understanding and compassionate with employees.

Regardless, I am glad you have a different job now and hope you are working for a boss that cares about your happiness and well-being.

Hey @Buraiyen

I’m glad you found another job! He sounds like a total nightmare to work for. I remember telling one of my old managers who said I wouldn’t amount to much that the day I have a senior position (which I do now) I’m gonna remember exactly how he ran it, so I know to do the exact opposite. Part of the reason when I managed a record store, I had a “no door” policy as opposed to an open door one. Where I literally took the door off my office so anyone could be free to come in and talk as needed.

Pets are family, 100%. Losing a pet is like losing a family member. And I wish more people treated that as such.

I’m so glad you’re in a much better situation though <3

Hi Buraiyen,

I’m truly sorry for your loss. I’m also sorry to hear about your boss’ behaviour towards you throughout such a difficult time. It could be that maybe he is the type of person that does not understand the close bond people can have with their pets and therefore, don’t understand how much of a loss, losing a pet really is. Additionally, that boss just also sounds like they provide a toxic and unhealthy work culture/environment. So that said, I am really glad that you have left and got away from this place of work, and that you have found another job. I hope this new job is a better experience for you, with more empathetic management in place :white_heart: