Relapse

VENTING

It’s been a couple of rough days, and theres no particular reason to it, all i can pint point is my own mental state, and since a few months back it’s been deteriorating: habits coming back, panic attacks increasing, anxiety through the roof, and now self harming like, every day a couple times.
I always come back to this, no being quite able to leave my bed, my relationships suffer, feeling like I’m dying and wondering if that would be better. I hate that I’m self harming again, but a the same time can’t stop. I stopped doing the things I like, I don’t go to work anymore.
I’m going to the psic, Im on stronger medication, and yet here I am.
I don’t have anyone to talk to, I’ve learned since very young to not bother anyone with my stuff, and honestly, I’ve survived years of these cycle like that, but it just makes it lonelier.
Tbh I’m just venting, needed some way to express I’m in a very rough patch, but thats all it is.

3 Likes

Hello black,

Thank you for reaching out and opening up about what you are going through. HeartSupport is a great place to vent and release your thoughts and feelings.

I’m sorry to hear that you have relapsed. Getting better and improving mental health is a journey, and it has many ups and downs. Recovery involves cases where we succeed and where we stumble, but it can be achieved. I’m sure having to go through this process in such a lonely way adds to the urges you feel. Healing and recovering requires a good support system that can be there for you and help to uplift you when you fall.

Today, I would like to encourage you by saying I see a person that is facing this challenge head on and is trying to overcome a very rough patch. And it takes such courage and strength to do this alone. If I may ask, have you ever expressed your thoughts regarding the medication you are taking? Do you like them/do you think they work or help?

I found that for myself, speaking with a therapist was very helpful and a strong part of my support network while working on my own mental health. Additionally, I found support groups to be helpful as well. It provided a safe space for me to share my feelings with others that were going through similar situations and had struggles that were similar to mine. This helped me to feel less alone.

I hope you are able to find ways that work for you to build up and strengthen your support system. I hope that you are able to make it through this patch and get back on track. And I hope that you remember that relapses do not erase your progress, your efforts, and your hard work. They just mean it’s time to reassess and regroup. :white_heart:

2 Likes

Hi @black,

Thanks, for reaching to HeartSupport about you mental health struggles! I can relate with you post a lot. There are some days that I feel sad but it helps me relieve my stress & anxiety. We aren’t always going to be happy 100% all the time. Panic attacks are scary because it randomly comes out of nowhere. A few weeks ago I had a panic attack for no reason. The best thing I did was look at my surroundings and take a deep breathe.

I used to hide my mental health for my close loved ones because I don’t want them to get involved with my mess. It took me many years to tell my family that I have mental health disorder. People tend to underestimate how mental health disorder can impact your whole life. I’m currently taking medication for my mental health but remember it’s better to do something than nothing at all. Medication is just temporary tool but you need to try to fight against mental health issues. Don’t let a mental health disorder prevent you being happy. I always think my mental health disorder is like a wall that block me for doing a certain activity. You could have a day that you do nothing and that’s okay.

Habits takes a long time to develop but always reward yourself for completing a task. I do have a few bad habits this year that I’m trying to work on. You aren’t alone in this situation. It’s okay to vent at HeartSupport forum. We are here to support you the best you can. Instead of self harming, You can think about goals or fun activity to be distracted. What can you be doing instead of self-harming?

You mentioned your relationship is suffering. Did you communicate your partner about this mental health issue? Sometimes having a partner listening you vent makes you feel less lonely.

2 Likes

Hi @black

Thank you for sharing and being vulnerable with us. I am really sorry to hear that you are going through a rough patch. I am so happy you are utilizing this platform as a safe space to vent. Unfortunately, mental health is a journey and often a bumpy one. There are days you will feel great and days you will feel like the floor is crumbling below you. Ups and downs are a part of life, but the way you look at this and your perspective are everything. At your lowest points, you have to remember that you have been here before and made it out. You have to remember that the ‘ups’ exist. It is completely normal to be scared that old bad habits are creeping their way back into your life. I want to remind you that the journey is ever-changing and you have control over which route you take. The fact that you are self-aware and expressing your feelings is the first and hardest step. Panic attacks can be really scary, and from my own experience, I know they can put me in a rut for a prolonged period of time afterwards. Something that has really helped me is journaling. Every day, I document my inner thoughts, morning and night. On the bad days, on the okay days, and on the best days. The fluctuating emotions and trains of thought I have documented help me unravel my mind and pinpoint areas of my life I want to improve. If this sounds appealing to you, let me know, and I can share some of the prompts that help me.

I also want to encourage you to search for alternative activities and things to stimulate your senses when you feel an urge to self-harm. Drawing, going for walks outside, listening to music, reading a book, watching a funny show, or taking a really cold shower are just a few examples. Seeking professional help to discover the underlying causes of self-harm is also something I want to encourage. Be patient and kind to yourself. Healing takes time.

You are not alone and have so much more strength and resilience than you currently think. Acknowledge that the difficult times you are experiencing are here and will pass. I believe in you, and you have a whole community of people here at Heart Support to listen and encourage you. I am sending you love and hugs. <3

2 Likes