S_Cray_Cray Fan #4

How do you tell someone you need them without smothering them?

In what capacity do you need them?

Great Q – I think honesty is typically the best policy…especially by telling someone that you’re afraid you’re going to smother them…when I feel anxious about someone’s reaction, I’m actually trying to learn how to be honest about that anxiety. One of the things that I’ve done for so long is swallow my anxiety and try to figure out how to do life on top of a bedrock of anxious thoughts, and it has just caused so much stress…I’ve been exercising lately through counseling the practice of naming when I feel anxious and telling the person I feel anxious about that I’m anxious about their thoughts of me…I just did that with a coworker the other day when I told him that I was anxious that I was letting him down. By bringing my struggle into the light, he was able to wrap me in love and assure me that he accepts me as I am regardless of how well I did during a project, and it was super helpful to letting go of that anxiety. Maybe try expressing your truth and your anxiety to this person! Could open up some really good conversations and expectations of the relationship that you otherwise would be just trying to guess inside yourself and getting stuck / struggling to figure out what to do in an unknown situation. Hope this helps <3

1 Like

I have to agree, Honesty is the best policy.
Tell them how you feel, they will appreciate you being honest with them and you will feel better for getting it off your chest.
Much love

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.