Scared Of Opportunities

Hi everyone!

So I’ve been asked to dance for my school but I’m absolutely terrified. I’ve been a dancer since I was barely 3 years old, but I’ve never been asked to do a solo. I’m a freshman in high school, so I already am seen as a newbie and young and weird, but now I’m preforming for over 400 people… by myself. I’m absolutely terrified I will find a dance that nobody likes. If anyone has any suggestions on what to dance to, PLEASE let me know. It has to be a jazz dance, but that’s the only requirement.

Anything helps.
I love yall

RedRain xxx

8 Likes

Hi RedRain :slightly_smiling_face:
First of all I think you might be giving this a bit too much thought. I dont think the people care that much about the dance and the music. There are always going to be the ones that dislike your choices but there are also gonna be the ones who like them. Thats why it is important to be authentic :slightly_smiling_face:. Pick something that you like and that sounds good to you. Its probably the best desicion you can make :wink:

1 Like

one thing that could help pick a song is tofollow djaj2 on twitch, and find some good jazz there. maybe even ask what songs are good to dance to.

i know exactly how u feel. trying something new can be scary. im a very shy person so i’ve had my fair share of opportunities i’ve been scared to take. but once u do it u might find that it isn’t so bad. something i get told alot is u can do anything u set ur mind to. and don’t forget u have a whole community of people rooting for u. u got this i believe in u!

@RedRain,
Wow that’s a big opportunity, but I can also imagine the amount of pressure that that might bring up to you. You’re new, you’ve never danced a solo before and then suddenly people ask you to do that in front of so many people. And not only that, but you’re dancing in front of people who you don’t know yet. I can imagine that that thing might be really intimidating. You want to do well and don’t have the usual group to hide behind. But at the same time… you were asked. The person who asked you, sees something in you. They think you have talent. They see that you enjoy dancing and they believe that you can actually do that.
I trained as a classical musician and the thing I hated most, were the solo pieces. Those were the moments that people were focused on me and not the rest of the orchestra. But performances can be trained. You can perform your dance in front of people before the big night. And if you’re smart about it, you start with a small group of people you trust, roughly 2 months before the big day. Then the next weekend, you do the same dance in front of your entire family. The weekend after that you invite some friends and people from your dance crew. And then you’re gonna build the audience a bit bigger by e.g. doing it in front of a nursing home (trust me those people LOVE art performances). Try to build your audience a bit bigger every time. It helps with keeping the focus on what you’re doing while you’re performing! And if something goes wrong, you find out how you can fix it during the performance.
A lot of people won’t know that you mess up when you do. You got this!!!

:hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

Hey RedRain!

Megs_26 responded to your post today live on stream with some amazing words of advice and support

Here is a link the video of her reply you can watch anytime you want!

2 Likes

Hey @RedRain I was thinking about you today so just thought I would drop you a quick note to ask how you are doing? I hope things are going ok. How did you get on with the dancing?
Anyway thats it, just a check in. Always here if you need us.
Much Love lisa. x

2 Likes

Hey babes… I was actually about to post, so be looking out for it

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.