Self harming

I’m open I guess let me hear it.

I’m really glad you asked. :heart: Are you doing okay?

Anything less damaging to you is what we want. The video @Mystrose posted has some good examples starting at about 3 minutes in, but the whole video is good if you’re looking for long-term help to reduce the urges.

For aggressive release, punching a pillow or a punching bag, shouting, doing quick, angry push ups, is the sort of ballpark you may want to look at. For me that comes out as writing really mad lyrics. Maybe something like that would help you too. Sometimes just letting it all out, typing without even thinking, can be enough. It doesn’t have to be good if it’s just for you.

@Aces mentioned drawing on your arms in red and I think that’s a really good idea too. As long as you avoid doing so to impart pain as much as is possible for you, that might be a good way to reclaim the habit without causing yourself harm.

One of the best things for me is to completely separate myself from the circumstances I’m in, like a circuit breaker. That means I’ll go outside, usually at night, and run/walk around while listening to music. Getting away from the immediate situation you’re in can help you step away from the feelings too, and help you get control back. Anything you do to stop or delay self harming is a very good thing.

Does any of this sound like something you’d like to try? If not, we can work together to think of ways you can get through this. You’re in our thoughts, be strong friend.

Well I’m doing a bit better was a lot better yesterday, but I woke up this morning and some stuff happened that made feel a little down again. And I’m not sure I wanna say yes but there is a good chance I will forget a lot of these coping mechanisms due to how long I can go without a desire to harm myself. It really sucks I thought since it was summer time I wouldn’t get so down.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear you’re doing a bit better. I’m sorry about whatever it was that brought you down this morning though! If you’d like to talk about that, of course, we’re here. It isn’t nice that you’ve been feeling down lately, but in case you need to hear it – it’s nothing to be ashamed of. Emotions can be unpredictable like that, but it’s not your fault. It’s okay if we treat ourselves and each other with the love and care we deserve.

It’s such good news that you can go a long time without a desire to self harm! I’m very happy about that. But in terms of getting help should the need arise, there are some things we could do. This page will be available for you to access whenever you want to come back to it, but maybe it would be a good idea to screenshot the parts you think you’d want to refer to in future so you’ll have it ready to go. You can always come back and talk to us more, and there’s also the Heart Support discord you could connect to. Does any of that sound good? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks I wish I could say more to show my appreciation, I always feel I never express my gratitude to everyone who comments on my posts enough.

1 Like

Your thanks are definitely enough, I think we can all feel the gratitude. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope you’re feeling good today!

1 Like

Was feeling a little down this morning but I’m feeling really good now thank you for asking.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.