Should I ask

I want to get a mental health screening. I’ve struggled to focus on anything in the past couple days and I’ve been stuck obsessing over my mental health. It’s been getting worse over the past couple months. I was super stressed with college acceptances and couldn’t do anything except for research them. I’m starting to see a pattern of getting stuck for 2-3 days every couple weeks and it’s only going to get worse if I don’t know why my brain is doing this stuff. I contacted my school’s therapist as a last resort (they’re known to suck) but I want to be sure that I’m not faking this or something. They still haven’t responded. I have really disturbing intrusive thoughts that I don’t want to share with my parents and if I do and it turns out that I don’t have a condition it would 100% change the way they see me. Should I just tell them? I don’t want to self-diagnose.

1 Like

If you are asking yourself if you are faking it you probably aren’t faking it. Also, what about your school counselor is bad?

(omg i didn’t reply correctly) hes known to be unreliable in his confidentiality and unhelpful in general

It’s okay and that’s not right. The confidentially and trust are some of the most important thing that a counselor should have/do. So it sucks that he doesn’t have it. Also, I think that you should tell your parents about your intrusive thoughts. Even if you don’t have a mental health issue if they bother you should talk about them.

I would but they’re uncomfortably sexual and I don’t really want my parents to hear that stuff especially when it concerns them. It’s gross and I don’t think I’ll ever talk to them about those. My parents love me, but they’re always telling me that I need to “stop thinking about things” and I’m sure that most people on this forum know that that isn’t exactly easy haha

Yeah you can’t just stop thinking things. I understand that if you don’t feel comfortable telling them that’s fine but you should talk to someone about them because I find telling someone helps but that might just be me.

I completely agree, that’s why I’m trying to talk to the school counselor. I don’t think my friends would react too well to a discussion like this and I don’t really want to dump all of this on them. I’ve gotten by with journaling so far

Well, it’s good you have a healthy coping skill? I don’t have one yet. But anyways here’s to hoping that the counselor does his job right and if you want to keep talking we can.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.