So how do you stop it i punish myself for my sons

This is a topic from YOUTUBE. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on YouTube.

Belongs to: Therapist scared to react to Slipknot - Psychosocial
So how do you stop it. I punish myself for my son’s path in life and his eventual prison time and overdose. It’s been going on for 10 years.
Every time I want to get help, something inside says fcuk it you aren’t worth it.

1 Like

You shouldn’t be punishing yourself! As hard as it can be, we can’t control others actions, even if it’s family.

You took a HUGE step though in getting help though. Even something as simple as a YouTube comment is opening up in a big way. I would definitely consider speaking with someone trusted or with a professional, because dealing with something like an overdose or an incarceration of your son. It can definitely take a toll and you want to mitigate that as soon as possible and correctly, while taking care of yourself as well

I am truly sorry to hear you are experiencing such a difficult time.
I do believe it is important to recognize that you are not alone, and many other parents have felt this way regarding a child who has struggled with their path.

Seeking help is not only an incredibly brave thing, but also a crucial step in your healing journey, and I am proud of you for doing so. You are absolutely worth it and your overall well-being matters!

It is important to remember that even if it is a family member, albeit a child, you cannot always control their choices, and blaming yourself may not be fair. Everyone faces challenges, but NOTHING makes you unworthy of support! I would consider reaching out to a trusted individual who can provide a network of empathy and understanding, in order for you to reach a healing point.

1 Like

Hey Friend,

First of all, I hear what you are saying. Also, please know that you are 100% not alone, and how you feel is extremely valid.

I can only imagine how difficult it must be to stand by and watch as your child struggles. As much as your pain is real and valid, you are not to blame for your son’s choices and struggles. Each person walks their own path, and while we can offer support and guidance, ultimately, they make their own decisions.

The harsh reality is, that punishing yourself and your son won’t change the outcome of the situation. Instead, it’s essential to focus on self-compassion and forgiveness. You are worthy of love and support, and seeking help is a courageous step towards healing. It takes strength to acknowledge when we need assistance, and reaching out for support shows your commitment to yourself and your son.

Consider seeking therapy or support groups where you can openly share your feelings and receive guidance from others who have experienced similar challenges. Surround yourself with understanding and compassionate individuals who can offer encouragement and perspective. Remember to practice self-care and engage in activities that bring you joy and peace.

Take each day as it comes, and be gentle with yourself. Healing is a journey, and it’s okay to have setbacks along the way. Keep reminding yourself that you deserve love and support, and don’t hesitate to reach out for help when you need it.

You are stronger than you realize :heart:

@@HeartSupport thanks, I’m just taking one day at a time. I’m working on myself and trying to keep that priority. Videos like yours are a big help

@@HeartSupport thank you. I am doing much better now. I was in a really dark place just months ago and I pulled myself out of that place.
I tried seeking support from friends , but unfortunately I was shunned by everyone and needless to say I don’t have many friends left, but what I learned was that no one else can help and I have to do the work and get myself out of this hell. I am getting help and I appreciate y’all reaching out.

Hi there!
I am really sorry to hear that you’re going through a tough time. How you are feeling is extremely valid, and I want you to know how brave you are for expressing your thoughts and feelings. When it comes to family and people close to our hearts, we may take responsibility for their actions or feel like we played a part. In this situation, it is crucial to remember that you cannot always control others’ actions. It is super important to look out for your son while also taking care of yourself. You are 100% worth it, and you matter! I am so happy you reached out to us, and I would encourage you to continue seeking out help and the support you deserve. <3

1 Like