Some good news!

My dad called me today. We had a really good conversation that was a good 2-3 hours long.

My relationship with my (adopted) dad has been pretty distant for a great deal of my life. We have tried to be close a few times and there’s been a lot of things that often put distance between us, but now that I’m older and he’s older I think we have both just learned to appreciate and respect the past, focus on today and have really began to build a close and healthy relationship.

We’re planning on hopefully seeing each other in August. I’ll get to spend time with him and his fiancé and finally meet my little brother. Plus he will get to meet my guy and I really just look forward to that.

Some of you know I’ve recently went through a divorce and lost my health insurance so I’ve been cut off from all my health care, therapy and treatments. My dad, who I appreciate beyond words, has offered to help me sign up and get a therapist through BetterHelp. So I am signing up for the 7 day trial today and will then he will be helping me pay for it on a monthly basis.

This is a really big deal for me as it’s been really hard coming off all medications cold turkey and not having my therapist to see every week.

So I just wanted to share some good with you guys. I have hope and I’m looking forward to getting started. Thank you Heart Support for providing us with the 7 day free trial.

• Kitty
2 Likes

Hey Kitty,

This is my first time on this site. I saw your post and decided to check it out. Congrats on the successful contact with your stepfather and hopefully you can see the rest of the family soon. I noticed you mentioned BetterHelp. I used their service couple years ago for a couple months. It really helped a lot. Depression never goes away but the thought of death or running away and closing out society has diminished. I haven’t thought of suicide for over a year. BetterHelp would be a great start but in the end its you who has to accept things and move on.

Good Luck on your adventures in life. Take a leap of faith and do something new every day.

2 Likes

Yup, I agree. We have to help ourselves, but counseling is nice to have on the side. To have a safe and trusted space to talk through stresses and struggles. For guidance and perspective.

1 Like

@anon17277947

I’m glad you are doing your best to reconcile with your stepfather. At the end, you are doing it for yourself. Let us know of how it goes. Keep moving forward. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

He’s actually my adopted dad (: He adopted me when I was a baby when he and my mom got married. He’s always been dad to me, but we have had some rough patches. But he finally hit a point in his life where he realized he wanted and needed a better relationship with his daughter. We are becoming closer and closer and talk more frequently.

It’s seriously the one thing I’ve wanted my entire life. Was to have a relationship with at least one of my parents.

It’ll never happen with my mother. But I’m trying very hard to connect to both fathers. My bio dad is difficult. He doesn’t really know how to connect. I try to be forgiving and understanding. It’s not always easy.

But I’m grateful for my adopted dad. Even if I don’t agree with everything he says or does, we get along very well.

Thanks AVJR :heart:

1 Like