Some if my life ..thus far..Trigger warnings

I apologize if this is lengthy.

I deeply appreciate your time and attention.

Approaching 40 years old,

Living with physical disabilities (including heart problems and others),

And facing what society labels as “mental” disabilities,

I find myself reflecting on the circumstances that have shaped my life, even before I was born. These circumstances have made it clear to me that I was never truly welcomed or given a fair chance.

Allow me to share a bit of my story.

Even before my birth, my mother and I endured various forms of abuse.

During her pregnancy, my mother was subjected to unimaginable violence. She was pushed down a flight of stairs and beaten. The only way to protect her from her attacker (who happened to be my “father”) was when my 5-year-old brother poured hot water on his face.

Shortly after this traumatic incident, my mother went into labor with me. That’s how I came into this world.

When I was around 1 year old, my father abandoned us. I have no recollection of him ever living with us during my lifetime. He left us for his new family, his wife and their child. Before leaving, he made sure to tell us, his young children, that it was our fault he was leaving and that he never wanted us in the first place. I vividly remember him saying those hurtful words as I watched him leave with his belongings from the upstairs window, alongside my brothers.

I can still recall the image of my mother crying and pleading with him to stay. I remember him giving her an ultimatum, saying it was either him or us, and that he never wanted us. She had to make a choice.

He abandoned us without ever checking on us or returning.

Occasionally, he would come back into our lives, but it was infrequent. He would only visit for his own pleasure, seeking physical intimacy with my mother and nothing more. He never acknowledged our presence or interacted with us.

Growing up, I witnessed my mother’s frequent tears and her relentless pursuit of someone who did not reciprocate her love. She also battled with her own mental health issues and faced other challenges in her life that remain unknown to me. I often saw her huddled in a corner, crying, while trying to maintain a brave facade. I never had the opportunity to truly know her as a person or understand her struggles.

We had to rely on government assistance. However, the meager support we received was not enough to ensure a consistent food supply for our family.

I have vivid memories of my mother and brothers enduring harsh weather conditions in our vulnerable state because we couldn’t afford transportation. There was one instance after a blizzard when the wind was still strong, the snow was heavy, and the ground was icy. We had to walk approximately 20 blocks to collect benefits so that we could have a few days’ worth of food. It took us four hours to reach our destination and another three hours to return home. When we finally arrived, I noticed that my purple socks had turned pink due to being soaked and damp. I couldn’t feel my legs, feet, or body, and I couldn’t stop shivering. It took me over an hour to warm up, and I was undoubtedly on the verge of hypothermia.

During those difficult times, we often went days and weeks without eating. We were too weak to attend school regularly, and we missed out on a lot of education.

My brothers developed resentment towards our mother and held her responsible for our father leaving (even after all these years). They spiraled into depression, and one of them was permanently expelled from school, isolating himself in his room 24/7. The other would frequently run away from home, and we would search the streets on foot for hours. We also skipped school frequently during that period (we were in elementary school at the time). Many times, we had to return home because we were too weak to continue searching, and we couldn’t find him. He would always be waiting at home when we returned.

As time went on, my brothers became increasingly abusive towards our mother. One of them pushed her down the stairs while she was trying to check on him, using his mattress as a weapon. Another hit her on the head with weights, causing her to bleed.

My mother had her own struggles to deal with as well. We had no family or support system, and she was raising three children alone with barely enough money to support us all. When I was around four years old, we had to move because someone broke into our home and sexually assaulted her while I was sleeping beside her in bed. They threatened to harm us if she made any noise, and we moved shortly after that incident.

I started school at the age of five, and it was during this time that I experienced molestation and rape, which I am fully aware of now (although I have heard stories about it happening to me even earlier).
Their children and my birthdays fell close together, and they would tell everyone that we were celebrating all of our birthdays together, but in reality, only their children received gifts and had parties with cake and ice cream. I was left with nothing, forced to sit away from them and their family and friends who treated me poorly. I went to school with bruises and in pain frequently, as they would choke me, slam my head and body against the wall, and leave me unconscious on the floor without calling for help. This abuse went on for about a year and a half.

After two years of not being able to see or contact us, I was allowed to do so. However, they threatened me before each visit, warning me not to tell anyone about the abuse. My mom sensed that something was wrong, and shortly after I was allowed to see her again, I was removed from their home at the age of 11, as the abuse was becoming sexual.

They would make me watch inappropriate content with them and ask me disturbing questions. If I had not been removed, I believe I would have been subjected to further abuse. I was eventually removed from their care at age 11, despite their attempts to manipulate and threaten me into silence. I went through three different foster homes before finding a permanent placement.

I was exposed to explicit content by them and subjected to inappropriate questions about my preferences. If I had not been removed, I am certain that I would have experienced molestation, rape, and exploitation by their acquaintances.

At the age of 11, I was taken away from them. They manipulated me by buying me things and threatening me to keep silent until the very end, and I complied. They even warned me that if I spoke up, their own children would be separated and placed in foster care. Out of love for those children, I chose not to disclose the truth. (I later discovered that they were allowed to foster more children after me.) Nevertheless, I was still removed from their care.

During the period of waiting for a permanent placement (as they were on vacation), I was moved to three different foster homes.

The last foster home I stayed in before my current placement was with a married couple. The wife was severely obese, weighing around 500lbs, and was unable to perform most tasks. I was left alone with her most of the time while her husband was either at work or elsewhere (I rarely saw him). I had to take care of all her needs, including administering her insulin injections, emptying and cleaning her portable toilet without gloves.

She showed no real care or interest in me, except when giving orders or criticizing me. On one occasion, I had a doctor’s appointment, and she refused to accompany me inside the clinic because she couldn’t physically get out of the car as I was a minor. Instead, she made me inform them that I needed to reschedule (which I never did).

Since the age of 11, I have been living with my current foster mother, and I am now approaching 40 years old. Unfortunately, my experience here has not been any different. I have endured emotional and mental abuse in this household.

I have been mostly ignored and no one has shown genuine interest in me or engaged in meaningful conversations with me. They are unaware of even basic details about my life, such as my birthday or last name. Essentially, they leave me to my own devices and have provided me with a room of my own.

When I was 12 years old, during my first year in this foster home, the only person who truly loved and cared for me, aside from my siblings, my mother, passed away due to a fire in an unknown location.

It still torments me as if it happened just yesterday, despite the passing of my biologicial mother many years ago.

During my first year there, I endured physical abuse from my foster mother’s grandchild. Whenever I was at his house, he would frequently strike me with a belt. This continued until he was finally caught when we were both around twelve years old. Thankfully, he never repeated such actions again.

When I turned thirteen, my foster mother would occasionally send me to stay at the house of that same grandchild, who had previously abused me. This was done to give my foster mother a break or allow her to go on a short vacation. During my stay, I would be accompanied by one of the neighborhood boys, who was a friend of the grandchild.

For some inexplicable reason, they decided to have all of us sleep in the same room, despite our young age. It was during this time that I was raped by the neighbor. He took away my innocence, my virginity.

Upon returning home, he would manipulate me into skipping school and continue to rape me, sometimes at another neighbor’s house where that boy would also assault me. It later came to light that the first guy had been sexually assaulting girls our age in the neighborhood since the age of thirteen or even earlier.

One day, a girl approached me, clearly broken and terrified. She somehow knew that I had been raped and desperately wanted to talk to someone about her own experience. She asked if I knew him, and I reluctantly admitted that I did. She then blurted out, asking if he had also raped me.

Overwhelmed with fear, I ran back into the house, leaving her behind. Before I fled, I heard her confess that he had also raped her, pleading for me to stay and talk. But I was too scared, too afraid of being taken away and placed in a group home or another foster home. Despite the unfavorable conditions and mistreatment, I had my own room where I could find solace.

So I never spoke to her, a decision that haunts me to this day. I deeply regret it. I never confided in anyone about what had happened to me. During this time, I almost faced expulsion from the family due to a stolen bicycle they had given me. Truth be told, I had allowed the neighborhood boy to borrow it for a few hours, but he never returned it. I chose not to report him.

Shortly after, when we were around fourteen years old, he was sentenced to five years in prison for raping someone. Turns out there were multiple people. He has been in and out of prison since we were 14. He is nearly 40 now. Occasionally, he resides with his grandmother who lives down the street from me once again.

During his time in jail, he would send me letters demanding things from me. When I didn’t respond, he would write me disturbing messages about how he would assault and harm me upon his release. He claimed it would be nothing compared to our childhood. It hasn’t happened yet, but I am still fearful that it might one day. He looks at me with such coldness and hatred. I know it’s only a matter of time.

Whenever he found the time to meet with me, he consistently criticized my appearance, insisting that I needed to improve my style. He would suggest that I undergo a complete makeover and even advised me to use moisturizer. He admitted that he lacked the confidence to pursue his desired partners, so he settled for me.

On one occasion, he went as far as lifting my breasts and commenting that I needed to wear a bra. I felt an overwhelming sense of shame and sadness. He deceived me by professing his love and desire to marry me, but when I confronted him about it later, he claimed he didn’t mean any of it.

The reason we no longer communicate is solely because he ended the relationship. Sadly, I have become accustomed to this abusive behavior and would still be involved with him if given the chance. I genuinely loved him and believed his words. I had hoped he would be different. It’s difficult to come to terms with the fact that he used me and now wants nothing to do with me.

I am still living with my foster mom, whom I care for as her primary caregiver. When I arrived, she was an active 64-year-old, but now, at almost 92, she has significantly slowed down and frequently requires hospital visits. The doctors suspect she has mixed dementia.

Despite her four grown sons taking her to the doctors and occasionally visiting or speaking with her, they seem reluctant to be fully involved in her care. They often display impatience and a short temper towards her. They won’t even take care of simple tasks like taking bags that have been sitting in the living room for five months to the Salvation Army.

She constantly feels like a burden to everyone and experiences frequent bouts of depression. Despite her toxic and verbally abusive behavior towards me since I arrived, she doesn’t deserve to be treated this way. I am committed to taking care of her; it’s the least I can do. I will be there for her until the end.

I will forever unemployed by my disabilities.
I have been raped and abused about 30 times or more that I can recall in life
I still am lonely with no friends

My daughter being of life (society labels her a “dog”. Hate that terminology. ) who was everything to me passed in 2021.

Tragic ending to a beautiful soul.

Family let her spend her last days dying inside and out. Suffering for months. I tried to get her help for 2 months but no one listened. They got angry when I brought it up constantly, telling me that I’m not a doctor. She got worse and I kept on pleading. They never listened to me and I watched her fade all the while holding her promising everything will be alright. i was blamed for her passing.
I am unable to find employment and do not have any source of income. Despite seeking assistance from social security, I have been denied 20 times, even with the help of different disability lawyers.

Furthermore, my food stamps were permanently cut off last month after relying on them for 10 years. Despite the circumstances not being my fault, they refuse to reinstate them. I received a document late in the mail, which I returned a month after the deadline, but they do not believe my explanation.

In addition to these challenges, my biological brothers, with whom I have had a distant relationship due to our past experiences, have recently abandoned me. I have reached out to them multiple times through text and messenger, but they have left my messages unread. It is disheartening to see them maintain a close bond with each other while disregarding me.

They had previously expressed their love for me and assured me that they would always be there for me. They claimed to want me in their lives and emphasized the importance of sticking together as a support system. However, their actions have proven otherwise, just like everyone else who has let me down.

It is evident that they are actively building their own ideal families with their girlfriends’ families, excluding me from their plans. This realization is both surprising and unsurprising, as I have become accustomed to being hurt and disappointed by others.

Despite these hardships, I am surprised that I have not turned to alcohol or drugs as a coping mechanism. I believe this is mainly due to my lack of income, which restricts my access to such substances.

However, I must admit that I am deeply depressed since these events unfolded. I have lost hope in the possibility of my life improving. It seems that I was destined to suffer from the very beginning, and I doubt that there is any chance for healing or recovery.

I have not stepped foot outside my house for nearly a year, and there seems to be no hope for any improvement, not even a slight one.

I cannot bear to live like this for another 40-50 years. Whatever time I have remaining, I simply cannot endure.

The only reason I am still holding on is for the sake of my mother.
thank you for reading

4 Likes

Hello Lavendercrandberry

I’m sorry that you had to experience such a long life without having felt the true bond of family in any way. You don’t at all deserve that. To have a father leave, a mother incapable of caring for you, losing that same mother early, your brothers moving on to their families and putting you on the back burner. Just to find a permanent foster home where you are treated as a caretaker, rather then a daughter. I think that you show great strength to have survived the assault you have, along side the lack of effort people around you have made to treat you as a family member. You deserved to, and still deserve to be treated with love, and as family by someone in this world. Where to find this love, I might not know the answer fully to that question, but you DO deserve it. I think that, although this may seem very very hard at first, a great place to start with looking for love. Is to try to start to develop ideas for the things that could help you to have more self-love and self-care on a greater level. I know how foreign these concepts can sound, it took me until I was in my early 30’s to understand that I could even begin to indulge in loving myself, and that it did not have to come from outside myself. So if this sounds like a foreign and impossible task, I do not blame you for feeling that way, but I also believe in you, and believe in your ability to find love for your own self. Regardless of all the people around you who are completely oblivious, and rude in their ability to give you the love you deserve. You deserve to have your birthday remembered without mention. You deserve to have your emotions acknowledged and seen. Which is a reason I want to thank you for sharing your story with us, as this too shows great strength and is not an easy thing to do. We at HeartSupport care, and will recognize your emotions through our replies as best as we can, but as I mentioned before. I truly think a lot of the journey towards a better recovery comes from the inside. Though my situation is very different and I began a bit younger(I’m36 now), I also have had a rough life and share some similarities with your story. I know how hard it can be, just to even share what you have been through, but I think sharing is a huge part of the process, along side learning to find stronger self-love. I have had support from a variety of books, professionals, and peers who have also been through similar things as me. Things that came into my life the more I shared my trauma, and reached out. But in the end it was learning that I can be my own best friend, my own lover, and trying to find ways/things that can improve my happiness when I am alone that made the greatest strides. That being said. I do not think that it should be done just alone. We all deserve to have positive reinforcement and support from others in our life. Right now a lot of that just comes from online communities for me, and my mental health professionals. I don’t know the right answers for everyone, or if I am ever saying anything of use when replying to people who are struggling, as I often struggle, but what I do know is that I believe in you. I want to see you live, succeed, recover, and find the answers and love that you deserve in your life.

Hi Lavendercrandberry,

Thank you for your vulnerability today. You opened up and shared your story, and I genuinely hope you received some form of a release from all of the things you have been carrying with you. You have had a difficult journey and you absolutely did not deserve the treatment that you have been receiving from others. Hearing all of the things and experiences you have been through, my heart goes out to you. I think you are such a strong individual having endured such relentless amounts of maltreatment, and your heart is still so genuine, having the desire to be the best caretaker for your foster mother, despite the fact that she did not treat you well. This is not a load that most people would take on so it really shows how kind hearted you still are as a person.

I’d also like to note that when it comes to your feelings about the young girl that wanted to discuss her assault with you, try not to be too hard on yourself. You were very young at that age and VERY scared. Your decision to not speak with her was normal, and more importantly, it was human. Because you are human. Each person goes through their experience of assault differently. And you have made the steps today to share what you were not ready to discuss back then. And this step took soo much courage.

I can imagine that you must feel very emotionally and mentally exhausted from dealing with all of this on your own for so long. It is a lonely feeling when we desire to be loved but do not receive such love from those around us, and those we care for. You deserve much better than everything you have experienced. You deserve to be loved, and valued, and remembered. You deserve to be treated with respect in every aspect of your life.

I understand that with how long things have been happening for, it is hard to draw on sources of hope for a change, and for things to get/be better. I encourage you to keep trying even when it seems pointless. I truly hope that things do turn around eventually and that you get the opportunity to experience and receive the goodness that humanity has to offer, and that you experience this goodness two-fold. :white_heart:

Hi There,

First of all, I want to tell you how proud I am of you for speaking up and sharing your story with us. This is never an easy thing to do, but it tells me that you are resilient and extremely brave. You matter, and your feelings and story deserve to be heard. I am so sorry to hear about everything you have gone through. You did not deserve any of it, and my heart breaks thinking that you must feel alone in your current living situation. From your post, I can tell you have a heart of gold. Even though others have not treated you with respect or care, you still have a desire to stay by your mother’s side and be her caretaker. You are a selfless person, and the fact that you put other people before yourself, is just amazing. I want you to be proud of yourself. You deserve nothing less than to be a part of a family that cares for you as an equal. I think you have shown an unimaginable amount of strength through the assaults and other horrible things that have unfairly come your way. I want you to know that your past does not define you. While bad things have happened, you are still you. You are still caring for people who have not been the most gracious to you. You are a good person. Good people deserve love and happiness. YOU deserve love and happiness. Some may think happiness comes from other people or material things, but in reality, it starts within you.

You have spent the majority of your life caring for others and never getting anything in return. I want to encourage you to continue being the nice and kind-hearted person you are, but also, in addition, to be a little selfish! You need to take care of you as well.This could be finding a hobby or moving to a new environment where you can seek more help, make new friends, and be a part of a community.

We sometimes stick to what we know because it is comfortable, no matter how harmful or negative it is to our lives, so I know how scary it could be to pick up and seek something new. But I really think giving yourself the chance to heal and grow in a new environment is the change you need and deserve.

I really want you to know how important you are as an individual. This forum is open, and I would really love to continue this thread if you need any support, advice, or even just an open ear to listen to you. Although I do not know you so well, I truly believe in you and care for you.

It is never too late. Seek out new people, new experiences, and self-love. I want to applaud your vulnerability. You matter. We are here for you to help in any way that we can. <3

@Lavendercrandberry

Thank you for the detailed post about your life. I have recorded a video reply (quite lengthy, ~16m) to your post. There is so much to say, I couldn’t write it all down. Please view the video at your convenience, and I hope there is something encouraging within it for you.

You matter. I care.

-nate