Something to think about. TW: mention of suicidal ideation

Something I did not expect.

I’m reading an autobiography of the first woman in the Netherlands who studied. Truly inspirational, but something what I did not expect at all, and I’m not sure a lot of people realized… is that while she was studying and told to quit because her body would not be able to do it… she actually almost attempted to take her own life… This woman, who at that point already was a huge inspiration for others because she was studying… She would become the first female physician, a huge advocate for women rights, the fact women can vote in the Netherlands was also thanks to her and others who were inspired by her, a huge advocate for women’s health and especially the health and safety of prostitutes… That woman also struggled with suicidal ideation… and if her father hadn’t suspected it and stopped her, she would not have done all those amazing things.

Just something to think about.

7 Likes

Thank you nyntje for sharing something this beautiful and inspiring. I am very glad you have shared this. I think inspiring stories like these can truly make a difference in a persons life. Not the “you ca do anything if you believe in yourself” but the “yes it was very hard and I stuggled just like you but with the help of my loved ones I have found enough strenght to do it.” I heard the saying that the bravest people are not ones who are not afraid but the ones who face their fears. I think there is a lot of truth to that statement. I hope the story you have shared with us will inspire you too in your darkest moments. Take care nyntje. I hope you are doing well :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this inspiring story, dearest @nyntje.

I remember once seeing an IG post of a mom who posted a picture of his adult son, smiling and happy. It was also written: “this is what suicide looks like”, because her son took his life away while no one saw any concerning signs.

We can never entirely guess what’s behind a smile, or tears, unless we sit down and ask someone how they are and truly listen to the answer. There’s too many stories that are stopped too early. Let’s keep believing in one another and our potential, no matter what. :hrtlegolove:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.