Strange sleep anxiety

I was going to be bed as usual. Turned off the light, held my plushie and tried to get some sleep. Except something strange happened. I was having my usual before sleep thoughts and I was thinking about how odd its is when you fall asleep you never know when it happens, you shutdown.

And for some reason that scared me immensely. The shift between awake and sleep and how it just happens and then i wake up hours later. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I still can’t stop thinking about it. Im writing this and its almost 1am. I want to sleep but at the same time im scared for some reason even though I’ve been going to sleep perfectly fine for the past 18 years of my life.

I don’t know whats wrong with me

Maybe im overthinking things

4 Likes

I can think of a couple of reasons it might’ve happened this evening, but I think the best thing to do is read for a while, or do something else to divert your mind from it’s present concerns. My wife advocates warm milk, and there’s a bit of science behind that as well, but not everyone agrees with it. It really does seem to work for her though. I have ocean waves and rain sounds running all night, and it works quite well for me. Relaxing music can also be useful.

When I was younger, and became very over-tired, I’d tend to feel anxious for a while before getting to sleep. Sometimes being over tired isn’t the same as being sleepy, as you can be exhausted and over stimulated at the same time. The best way to deal with that is to adhere to a decent sleep schedule, and avoid stress for a few hours before going to bed.

1 Like

Hi Friend,
that sounds like overthinking. i do that with a lot of things that come to my mind when going to sleep, when
there is something you think about and can’t stop, its a cycle that never ends.
since i am on medication i sleep better. that’s not a solution.
calm your mind down or exhaust your brain for sleep, like reading is very good for a it, or puzzling, writing.
that might help you with it. for a solution with overthinking the best way is a therapy in my opinion, to talk
about it, learn how your mind works and how you can deal with everything around yourself.
sometimes i don’t even know what i think about and still can’t sleep for a while.
build yourself a routine before you go to sleep. i read usually then some music.
thank you a lot for sharing this and reaching out to us. have a wonderful day and you matter, you are worth
everything good, feel hugged,
Greetings

1 Like