Stressing Out

I recently started a new semester of school and I’m already getting behind. My mom keeps making it hard on me by saying she will drop some stuff and I know she’s serious. What’s making it worse is that she expects me to get days worth of homework (writing assignments for fitness, art assignments, English assignments, and math assignments that I hardly understand) done in 3 hours. I’m stressed out already as it is with being behind and I don’t want the stress of my mom putting so much pressure on me. I feel like just quitting and I don’t know what to do. I know I should just buckle down and just do my homework, but I can’t do my math without help, I need access to a certain file in English but I’m not getting it at the moment, I’m unsure what to do for my art assignments and my fitness writing assignments are difficult because it takes me a lot longer than normal to figure out what to write. It has taken me half the day just to get one-half of one writing assignment written out and I still have the other half to do. My mom expects me to have all my assignments done in just 2-3 hours but I know my pace when it comes to doing homework, and my pace is slow and I feel like my mom is trying to change my pace by putting pressure on me to get things done faster. I just want to do things at my own pace and it’s annoying and stressful for me. She says that I’m putting stress on her and my family by being behind but I’m not seeing much stress from my family except for her, and sure, I don’t want her to feel stressed but it’s making me feel stressed having her keep saying that I should’ve had it done by now when it has only been one hour and that it’s stressing the family out and stuff. What should I do?

2 Likes

Hello and so sorry for the stress you are under. Does your school have a learning center where you can go for free help / tutoring? Most schools will have writing and math aids to help students.

Keep doing your best but be gentle on yourself. You didn’t get behind in 1 day so don’t put pressure on yourself to catch up in 1 day. Writing down a schedule often helps me, and taking a break BEFORE you get overwhelmed and saturated is important. 15 minutes to move around or listen to music.

How receptive do you think your mom would be if you told her you are working on getting a plan in place by talking to you teachers, getting help, etc and so could she stop nagging you because it stresses you out and is counter productive?

Most schools WANT their students to succeed. If you feel comfortable talking with your teachers and being honest about your predicament, they are likely to offer you advice or help.

Hang in there friend.

3 Likes

Thank you for replying! My school (I’m in virtual school) does have a drop-in center for students to go to but my week is usually busy with going to places and people are usually busy so I don’t go there, but when some family are around, I usually sometimes ask for their help with math.

With how my mom would be if I told her I was working on getting a plan in place, I’m not sure how she’d be, but I’m not altogether sure I would be able to keep with a set schedule. I’ve tried setting one, but failed to keep to it in the past, only keeping to it for a day or two.

I did receive an e-mail from the main teacher saying that if we wanted to do one class at a time to let him know, but they check in with the parents to make sure we got their permission to set this up, and I’m not sure if my mom would allow me to do one class at a time.

Again, thank you for replying.

Hey there @alexgamer_hameowlton - been thinking of you but have been too caught up in my own stuff to focus and reply again.

Check in with your main teacher about organizational ideas or crafting a plan you might be able to stick to. I hadn’t realized you are in virtual school - yes, that must be SO hard because you are responsible for so much more.

You can get through this. Don’t be afraid to ask your main teacher for help. If he contacted you, that means he is noticing you might need help and offering it.

Hold fast - you can get through this. Maybe not a fast as your mom wants, but that is on her and her struggle to deal with. Do the best you can for yourself

1 Like