Therapist Analyzes Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

This topic represents a post from YOUTUBE that was created by HeartSupport where users are invited to open up about their mental health struggles.

• You can’t reply on this post. Replies posted here are from users who commented on YOUTUBE.
  • When a user from YOUTUBE is in need of support, topics are created for them in the Social Media category, where you can encourage them.

View media here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQl3hhEKVtA

Therapist uses Smells Like Teen Spirit to discuss the way that individuals use apathy as a coping mechanism. The stereotype of an apathetic individual is often a teenager, but many people use apathy to keep themselves safe. Apathy is often seen as strength, but the truth is that real strength comes from vulnerability. It is brave to be authentic, to care, to create. Apathy is often secure, but it comes at the cost of never reaching your potential.

1 Like

You gotta check out “The World I Know” by Collective Soul. Very heavy song addressing depression and suicide with a powerful video to say the least.

1 Like

Would you suggest a prescription of Lithium?

1 Like

Enter the sandman next!..

1 Like

Do the new Fit For a King pls :slight_smile:

1 Like

wow this analysis really got to me.

1 Like

This is so nostalgic. Playing Age of empires with Nivana on the background. What is this song al about? Can’t figure any lyrics out. How do the words to it go. I wish you tell me. I don’t know.

1 Like

only me that think the drummer looks like him Dave Grohl? wow.
i wish kurt could have delt with it all, and stayed for us. wounder what would have come next, he was amazing i think :heart:

1 Like

I really like your vids. I would be very interested to see you react to Marylin Mansons older stuff. Especially The Beautiful people, Tourniquet, or the nobodies.The music videos are super artistic and interesting as well. Keep up the amazing vids :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d love to see your analysis of the video: Orphan Soul by Infected Rain.

1 Like

Therapist… you’re after my heart! You’re cool!

1 Like

Please react to daddy by korn (the song is a little Long tho)

1 Like

I 100% think you should react to Sober by Tool, such a great song.

1 Like

I’m thankful for Nirvana.
Nirvana-Rape Me
Nirvana-Aneurysm :metal:

1 Like

Interesting to see how you elaborate on things that probably even Kurt Cobain himself couldn’t or even wanted to.
This has been quoted from an article: quote ‘‘My lyrics are total cut-up,’’ Cobain maintained, referring to Beat poet William S. Burroughs’ famous writing method. ‘‘I take lines from different poems that I’ve written. I build on a theme if I can, but sometimes I can’t even come up with an idea of what the song is about.’’ endquote
He had an incredible ear for melodies tho, and it’s not unlikely that he just inserted lyrics here and there because they made sense in a “collage” sort of way.

1 Like

I love these videos especially the songs cause all of them you’ve done I love I ask one request please do the tragic truth or remember everything :pray:

1 Like

Nice analysis . This came out when I was in high school……I figured it just meant I could wreck shit!

1 Like

The Anarchy cheerleading squad is my favorite! :joy: Did you know that Kurt had a job as a janitor at his high school after dropping out? He dropped out two weeks before graduation because he didn’t have enough credits to graduate.

1 Like

I need you to listen to so far away my Avenged sevenfold. there is SOO much emotion to draw from that song. I CRIED listening to it and music usually doesn’t leave that kind of impact on me.

Does the fact that its about their dead drummer make it any more emotional?

1 Like

This song literally came from a girl spray painting on a wall. “Kurt smells like teen spirit.” The deodorant.

1 Like