Therapist drinks the Kool-Aid by Bring Me The Horizon

This topic is from YOUTUBE where users are encouraged to comment about their mental health struggles.

• If someone tags @heartsupport in a comment it becomes a topic here on the forum.
  • If they don’t it’ll be a comment on this topic.
  • Moderators can flag:ignore non @heartsupport comments to create a new topic if needed.

Therapist talks about how having a baseline belief of being unworthy often keeps people stuck in toxic and abusive relationships. She discusses that in a way to keep us from struggling further our brain will often try to make the best out of a bad situation by telling us sweet lies that make the bad situation seem less toxic. If we don’t believe we are worthy of better our brains will try to make the best of what currently is, even if it’s unhealthy. We have to stop drinking the Kool-Aid and find a way to allow our brains to find ways out of the situation instead of keeping us content while in the situation.

——

:point_right: If you open up about your mental health in the comments using @heartsupport, we’ll write back to you.

If you want direction in your mental health journey, you can go to https://heartsupport.com/compass to take our self-assessment test and get personalized PDF results.

Here are all of our other links:

Anonymous Mental Health Forum: https://forum.heartsupport.com/

Volunteer on a Reply Team: S.W.A.T. - Support Wall Action Teams | HeartSupport

HeartSupport Instagram: heartsupport • Instagram photos and videos

HeartSupport Facebook: heartsupport

HeartSupport Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/heartsupport

HeartSupport TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@heartsupport

Download the HeartSupport SOS App from the App Store or Play Store

You can donate to HeartSupport at Donate to Our Mental Health Non-Profit | HeartSupport
http://www.heartsupport.com/

1 Like

still listening this - 2030

1 Like

I adore your reactions! In this case, I was also thinking of the lyrics in a social/ideological context, like the relationship in question is between an individual and their cultural/social context, and talks about both disillusionment but also willful participation (drinking kool-aid by the jug - that has obvious social/historical resonances).

Of course the readings are complementary not contrastive. Thanks for your wonderful reactions!! This may be weird but reactions like this make me feel less alone because I can at least vicariously share my love for music, and I appreciate you!

1 Like

It’s about how cults suck you in to their beliefs.bthe cool aid masaque. AmEN was about fake religion also. When Oli was getting clean almost tried forcing religion on himbas part of his siberiety so he has beefs with religion. Listen to it again now and it will all click in place . Great reaction. Are you seeing them live. I’m seeing them in 2 weeks at Sheffield. Can’t wait

1 Like

The inspiration for the song came from the Jamestown Massacre where Kool-Aid (supposedly) was spiked with Cyanide and 900 people died when they were all told to drink it. The lines of the song “Oh, my dear/Nobody loves you like I love you” were from the audio recording of the massacre. As you pointed out it’s about consuming the wrong thing/information. Loved the reaction :metal:

1 Like

I love your reactions, you should check out"the death of peace of mind" by bad omens its a really good song.

1 Like

Knowing that Bring Me is using the fictional ‘Church of Genxsis’ in their live shows, I believe this song is either a direct or indirect reference to the Peoples Temple cult, where 909 people were ordered to commit mass suicide by pastor Jim Jones. The method? Drinking Flavor-Aid laced with cyanide.

I think the song can also be an allegory to how a cult treats its congregation, and maybe even make light that RTS (religious trauma syndrome) is a thing. There are stories about how people in cults were initially treated with love and embrace, to the point those same people were willing to do anything under that strong of control, whether it be committing murder or death.

And like you said, I think it could also be a reference to an abuser-victim relationship, where the victim doesn’t want anymore, but they are so into it that they agree to being subjected to more.

1 Like

There is a song I would love for you to react to it is heavy but the lyrics are so amazing and deep it’s called reacrent by chealse grin

1 Like

have you heard anything from the old material BMTH? a song like Suicide Season? how many years have passed and is still relevant to me

1 Like

For me it’s a cult :sweat_smile: played in a relationship :sob:

1 Like

I feel this one to my core

1 Like

I’d have to guess that this is a concept song . These ep are conceptual . This one seems to be like a next gen kinda vibe . So it fits with the kool aid . Maybe after the church in amen , they all drank the kool aid

1 Like

i’ve seen nex gen preorder starts 12 january, stay tuned guys

1 Like

i need a therapist like this

1 Like

Another great song warning us of something that’s not good for us.

1 Like

In this case the abusive, dysfunctional relationship is that between the individual and the exploitative institutions of oppressions we’ve built for ourselves, convinced that this is all we deserve.

1 Like

This song is saving me. 2024 has already went south but Bring Me came through. I love this song so goddamn much. They make things feel alright

1 Like

I just love this woman simple as that amazing explanation of the meaning of the lyrics of the best band of this generation easy bmth.

1 Like

I cannot wait until Post Human Nex Gen!!:fire::metal:

1 Like

This song is a very clear representation of the Jonestown Masacre, Talking about “playing God” society and the toxicism of the ones that follows those images and abusive leaders, using them and having that masoquism that we can see in this song’s lyrics. Simply deep and amazing work of BMTH.

PD: BMTH and Oli Sykes saved my life and mind twice. I owe them so much. <3

1 Like