Things going ok for the most part

So to start out everythings going pretty well im less depressed if not at all i am working on getting my anger issue to stop but that will take some time yet though now that winter is here i just hope it doesnt end up like today has as i am writing this. I help out with my grandmother still so that things are fine though she doesnt sleep like i want and it leads to issues at this time of month. She tends to go out without a jacket while im still sleeping and its like in order for people not to yell at me i have to watch her but that would mean i cant sleep either so thats where i struggle the most and have no idea where to turn to at that point. It always seems like i get the end of the verbal abuse when it happens and i cant really say anything to my doctors while my parent takes me to my appointments since i cant drive myself but other than these issues i havent reverted back to my old self as hard as these moments are currently in my life. I guess i just wish for a family that doesnt need to yell at me for one little mistake after all the only way it seems i can stop my grandmother from leaving is to not sleep at all even on the weekend and that itself is not healthy but even with all that i deal with i just try to show no emotion and not worry about it in the end.

4 Likes

I can imagine how stressful it would be looking after your grandmother when she has tendencies to wander. Would it at all be possible to have an alarm on the door so that when it opens it sounds so you can rest knowing that you’ll be wakened if you’re needed?
Maybe even something like a ring camera but at the front door and you turn on the phone alerts just before you settle to bed?

Parents like to sometimes be involved a bit too heavily, they care but sometimes they have to allow us some personal space as well. Maybe there could be a discussion that they wait in the waiting room when you go in, it could even be a discussion brought up in front of your dr so that you have someone to back you and support you if needed.

It’s a lot of responsibility to care for someone and then to have to find the lines of boundaries with family.
I do hope this week is more restful for you

2 Likes

Hey emoamy666! I’m glad some things are going better for you.

Is there a way you can lock the door or block your grandmother from leaving the house altogether so that you do not have to worry about chasing after her and losing sleep? I do not know your situation but I know that my parents use a baby gate to make sure my grandma cannot go past the bathroom in the night to keep her from wandering the house.

I do not know how old you are but when you go to the doctor you always have the right to tell the doctor you want to be alone in the room without your parents. If you do not feel comfortable telling the doctor in front of your parents then you could always write it on a note that you slip a nurse when you go to check in at the doctor. Most doctors offices would them make it seem like it is their policy or choice that the patient be alone in the room with the doctor. You may have to advocate at that point saying that you are okay going alone but it may be a possibility if there are things you want to discuss with the doctor without your parents present. You are the patient after all and their objective is your health.

I hope that you can find some ways to help these couple of things so that your amazing progress can continue and you can keep getting plenty of sleep so that you can take care of yourself. Good luck, friend. :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

Hi Emoamy666,

It is so good to hear from you again. It’s honestly so wonderful to hear that the depression has gotten better, and that the anger issues are being tackled now too.

It also sounds like you’ve been given a huge responsibility to oversee your grandmother. Would it be possible to install a lock so that she can’t leave while everyone is asleep? Or put an alarm or bell on the door so that everyone at the home can be alerted. You do need proper sleep too.

As for talking to your doctor alone, ca*n you try to slip a note to the doctor or nurse, asking them to tell your parents they need to do some private exams with you and need to talk to you alone.
Or try to call them privately and express that you need to talk to your doctor in confidence.

So glad that you’re making progress, and hope it continues. We’re always here for you!

1 Like

i guess i can find some way if not i can talk to my mom about the situation i just dont have many options at the moment besides staying awake every 2nd day since thats her basic routine these days but all that is some good advice ill try to work on figuring out

1 Like