Think I’m getting played

My mental health hasn’t been at its best honestly. Maybe I shouldn’t be trying to date. But, in April I got out of a toxic relationship and I feel ready. I’ve gone on several dates and they never landed anywhere. I recently met this guy and I kept saying I didn’t want to hookup because it makes me feel empty. He was really respectful about it and told me he’s not just looking to hookup so it’s fine. He would like to continue dates and if they keep going well, we could go “steady.” I was stoked you know. I really like him. Now it’s only been close to two weeks and we went almost an entire week seeing each other everyday but now that I unfortunately gave into hooking up with him I feel like he isn’t too interested anymore. He hasn’t been a texter since day 1 but I barely get more than five a day and he doesn’t call. He will text me he misses me and we should hangout when he’s off but before whether he had work or not that didn’t matter. Am I just being strung along? Is he just using me till something better comes along? I’m really trying not to beat myself up to hard for giving in to hooking up. I know I should’ve waited. He also plays a lot of video games with his friends so I respect his time and space and don’t text him repeatedly. I just haven’t ever had a guy not communicate with me. Usually when they’re interested my phone is going off all day. Maybe it’s my own self doubt and past insecurities in relationships. Am I overthinking it? It’s just been eating away at me.

5 Likes

So both of you started out not wanting to hook up, then acted very hooked up for a little while. Because of your initial status, not wanting to hook up, he may be less inclined to communicate frequently. It’s possible that he feels that you might be stringing him along. Whether or not the relationship continues, there is nothing to feel insecure about.

With budding relationships, is practically impossible not to overthink about them. I do think you need to protect your own emotions, which isn’t easy. Just know that you will be okay regardless of what happens.

2 Likes

Hi @shortcats

Welcome back :hrtlegolove:

Something that I have learned thru out my life (Im old lol) is that when you have a question or are confused about something in a relationship, you should sit down with your partner and talk about it.

With this person, you could ask them out for coffee or something and talk. Ask him how he feels, you don’t have anything to loose and you won’t agonize over it anymore. If he isn’t interested, then you can have closure and move on. If he wants to date, then you can be happy and get to know him more.

Honesty and trust is very important in a relationship, especially in the very beginning. :hrtlegolove:

3 Likes

He may also be having the same thoughts, u never know unless you ask!

Hooking up may not have been what you initially intended, but there is no wrong or right. You’re still interested, and I hope that that little spark for romance is still alive in you, even if you’re now a bit more cautious.

Why not arrange a date, maybe like @Mystrose suggested, somewhere outside where you can get to talk without the stress of hooking up.

5 a day texts is also not so bad hehe. Don’t compare him to others from the past, his ways and his habits are his own, and since you say he’s not a big texter, 5 a day is pretty great I think.

Have fun yes, but also communicate where you are with what you want from the relationship and make sure you both are aware of the other’s pace and preference.

When in doubt, talk it out!

2 Likes

@shortcats I’m really sorry you’ve been feeling this way. I drew a picture today and wanted to pass it along to encourage you. You’re loved.

3 Likes

Thank you for the response and the photo! You’re super talented and it lifted my spirits. Still don’t know where this is going but, like my counselor said, just enjoy the moment and see where things lead. Trying to just get out my head! Thank you again🖤

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.