This 1 hits home for many of us my brother took hi

This is a topic from YOUTUBE. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on YouTube.

Belongs to: Therapist analyzes Su!cIde by Ren
This 1 hits home for many of us. My brother took his own life, I buried him on my 18th bday, & I’ve felt guilty my whole life bc just 2wk prior, he called me & told me that he intended to walk that path as soon as he tied up some business, &, in my adolescent mind that had only known 1 other person who’d done such, I thought he was trying to express a weakness, I often heard from teachers & classmates that ppl whom really intend to end it, they aren’t going to blatantly say it but instead may leave a note or give hints like giving away a bunch of personal items while displaying a shift in behavior. My brother told me that he didn’t see any pt in going on bc he discovered the meaning of life, & he couldn’t cope w/seeing what he did on the daily, working as a director @ Big Brothers, Big Sisters of America. I was @ school all day w/this horrible intuitive feeling to be told by my father when I’d gotten home that my brother was dead, by this time it had been over 2yr since my mother, the shared parent of my (“half”) brother & I, had disappeared after traumatizing us w/a lie that she was dying of pancreatic cancer & then left a note we found wks after she disappeared that said she was leaving to go die so her kids didn’t have to witness her degeneration & death. My brother & I had gotten extremely close when my mom disappeared bc she did the same thing to he & our older brother to go be w/my father & escape her abusive ex-husband, but she left the boys to be raised by his alcoholic ass, then she chose my father, a paranoid schizophrenic, to have 2 daughters w/I was also the youngest of that set of children, like my brother, Chris, & we found each other @ a punk rock concert, I didn’t even recognize him entirely bc I hadn’t seen him in nearly 5yr, I just knew in my gut that the guy looking @ me from the balcony was familiar, & he came running down the stairs, bear hugged & spun me around, then goes, “Don’t you recognize your own fkn brother?” After that, we @ least spoke on the phone for like 2hr every wknd & hung out whenever he wasn’t working or volunteering in community outreach. I idolized him, & then, when he died, I felt like I had to apologize to his father & our other 2 siblings bc I knew & did not stop him, but then, his father, he told me that he knew too, that he drove North 2hr to bring him back home to watch over him bc he too got that feeling from Chris, then Chris told him that he was going to walk down the st to visit his childhood friend, &, instead, Chris walked down to the freeway & hitchhiked back to his house where he penned a letter for both his father & our mother, he dialed the county sheriff, & he said, “I live @ this address, I’m currently loading my shot gun to end my life. Please come & take my body away so no 1 in my family has to see it,” &, while the phone was still connected to dispatch, he stepped in his shower, drew the curtain, positioned his weapon, turned on the water, & pulled the trigger. My sister began working @ the hospital the EMTs took him, & he apparently did not die on scene despite a shotgun shell to the noggin, he lived just over 1hr after arriving to the hospital. About 1yr after burying Chris on my bday, having had no real relationship w/our mother whom obv faked cancer to go be w/what turned out to be her hs sweetheart, I’m a freshman @ university w/my 1st ever personal pc, & I’m sitting in my dorm room w/my drunken stranger of a roommate I’d just met a month prior, & I’m working on a zoology research project when I get an email from an addy I recognize as being my mother’s name, subject line merely stating, “The Letter”, & inside the email the only thing typed was my brother’s suicide note, no warning nor discussion, no asking me prior if I wanted it or needed it for closure, & it was then that I drank for the 1st time, as I had been straight edge my entire jr high & hs experience. That letter, seeing how my brother was thinking & feeling, it crushed me even further. My grades dropped a tad, I had to wd from a class & retake it the following semester bc I wasn’t coping well w/20hr worth of classes & depression. Ppl don’t understand how many others will be haunted by their choices. Luckily, w/the invention of sm, I’ll get random msgs from some of my brother’s old friends & the girl he was seeing, they’ll upload photos I’d never seen of my brother or they’ll lmk that they went & cleaned his grave & replaced his gifts & added fresh flowers bc my brother’s father buried him hrs away from his maternal family. He was so hip, everyone loved him, & it sucks to know that he felt everyone resented him or merely pretended to care, when the truth is that there were ppl lined up clear around the block for his svc. I shared my chair w/his girl bc his father & stepmother felt like she didn’t belong in the family row, & I know my brother was proud of me in that moment. :cry:

4 Likes

I want to wholeheartedly thank you for your openness and transparency. You’ve shared your deepest struggles with us, and I don’t take that lightly. Thank you so much for being beautifully vulnerable.

I am so sorry for your loss. Chris sounds like an amazing light in this world, and it truly saddens my heart that he isn’t here to shine anymore. I’m glad you still have wonderful memories with him, such as when you reconnected at the concert, and I’m sure that his light will shine through you for the rest of your life.

I commend you for persevering through every struggle that has faced you throughout your life. Your ability to continue through abandonment and loss is truly powerful and inspiring. No matter what afflictions your family faced or what you had to suffer through because of the choice of another, those struggles do not define you. Your family’s struggles do not define you. Your struggles do not define you. You are such an inspiring person and I am so glad that I have the opportunity to connect with you. The ability to continue through college with your grades only dropping a tad while dealing with what you have had to go through is beyond impressive, and I commend you for that. You must mean so much to all of the other family and friends who miss Chris, and keeping that network open and welcoming in the good memories is such a wonderful way to keep the beautiful memories of Chris alive. You are doing everything right and I am so proud of you.

You do not have to bear the burden of Chris’ suicide. You couldn’t have known that he was going to do what he did, and the responsibility for his actions does not fall on you. It can be so easy to continually ask ourselves what we could have done to change fate, but it was not your decision, so the responsibility is not yours to bear. I know that is so so hard to internalize, and I don’t expect that burden to ease overnight. But I want to reassure you in any way I can that the guilt of Chris’ suicide is not yours to carry. You are not at fault.

Thank you for sharing your story. Sincerely, thank you. I am so proud of every step you have made. What you have been through is so much for a person to deal with, and it makes my heart happy to see you sharing your story and being open rather than bottling it up inside. Continue to share, continue to seek help when you need it, and continue to shine Chris’ life in the world. We love you and all of us at HeartSupport are always here for you for anything you need.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing such deep hurt, and please know my heart grieves for your loss.
I can’t imagine it’s possible to ever fully recover from such a catastrophic loss, but I pray you can find peace and hope in your process of healing and that you can deeply cherish what cheerful memories you have of Chris.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear all of the hurt that you’ve had to endure these past few years. My heart breaks for you hearing how much guilt you’ve been bearing. To be having these thoughts and emails be sent to you at college is a large weight to bear on your own.
This guilt you’re feeling is a strong emotion, but it is not a burden that should have a place in heart. No matter how subtle or blatant, no one can ever know for certain if someone has active suicidal ideation. You in no way failed him, it is so far from your fault.
You were an amazing sister and someone who brought so much joy to your brother. The kindness and resilience you display is such a strength you possess. Seeing the love you brother exhibited towards you and the way you exhibited loved towards Chris’s girl shows is a powerful display. It shows how the ones we lose never truly leave, but rather live in us and inspire us to live our life and love to the fullest extent.

This pain and hurt is not your reality, nor is it who you are. I know in your future there will be so much healing. I am so blessed that Chris was able to be there for you and to touch the lives of so many others in the way that you do. I would love to continue you talking with you and helping you grow through your hurt and into the amazing woman you are.

Thank you for sharing your story and the role that Chris has played in it. There is so much love and healing for you that you will give and be given. You are so, so loved. We are always here for you <3

2 Likes

@@HeartSupport You’re all very sweet–ty all for the kind words.
I often share my life story in 1 go, & typically, I receive a 50/50 review: half the ppl that know me say they gravitated towards me bc of my blunt transparency, & the other half of the ppl say that it is a lot to take in @ once & to maybe consider feeding the info in small doses each time I again meet up w/ppl. Lol, I understand both sides, but I suppose I ruin many ppl’s desire to meet someone more mysterious in nature. Haha

5 Likes

You don’t have to thank us! Isn’t supporting each other what humans are created to do? Thank you for sharing in a way that feels natural and is comfortable to you. We are here if you ever need anything more! Have a great day!

1 Like