Thoughts in Turnoil

As I’ve grown older, the one thing I’ve started saying more often is “that’s on you” :raised_hands:t2:

To some, that might seem blunt, it might seem unfriendly or as if I’m angry. Which are all fair assumptions to make

I’m telling you “that’s on you” it means, your issue, you solve it. Why should I take responsibility for something someone else has done, said or felt.

I spent so long going round trying to fix other peoples problems for them, whilst neglecting my own. Some of my friends might even call me a therapist friend, but I have learned that not everything is fixable and not everything or everyone is worth your energy

I’m very spiritual, so I’m all about protecting my energy, space and vibe. If I get an off vibe with someone - that’s the vibe I get

It’s hard to take that approach, but people who understand are great!

1 Like

I go with a response somewhere along the lines of “I don’t feel it’s my place to address that…” I might also say “I can’t answer that for you.” Another response, “I think you are best able to answer that on your own behalf.”

I think it’s best to avoid sounding dismissive. Some responses convey that you value the individual, but are not willing to take on a particular problem for them.

I believe short answers such as “that’s on you,” or “not my problem,” suggests indifference, even if what you are trying to do is promote that individual’s independence.

You are absolutely right though, you need to decide what is or isn’t yours to deal with.

From the outset, I want to note that I am new to writing poetry. Please be kind :heart:

Thoughts in Turnoil

My thoughts and me, a neverending sea

I’m trapped and can’t swim to shore

The tornado is coming. Thoughts are getting louder

I can’t quiet my mind. I’m terrified

How can I swim to fear when I’m paralysed with fear?

Every time I fight, a wave hits me, sending me further into the storm

Do I stop fighting and hope for the best?

The anxiety within is raging and roaring. I’m beyond control now

When everything else is quiet I fight like nobody is watching.

My thoughts linger, louder than ever

I see the glimmer of light, the possibility of hope, but I’m too weak to fight

I stop thrashing the waves, hoping the fear will subside

Calmness is my guide, music is my solace

I will unlock the gate to escape my thoughts

I will find my freedom, and rid myself of my burdens

The mind is a dangerous place, especially when it’s all you have.

How can I navigate my thoughts when don’t know the destination or who I am

I must fine my own star and follow it

I will break free from this prison

3 Likes

You are not your thoughts.

You are their witness.

You are a lighthouse, firmly rooted in bedrock.

Like storms, thoughts can be observed as they pass and fade from view.

Thoughts can be shadows of nonexistent monsters.

You will stand strong in any storm.

In the midst of any storm, you will continue to share your light.

1 Like

Has anybody thought that maybe the first person you believe you loved wasn’t actually your first love?

This post has made me consider whether we love at all, or whether we are just so emotionally attached to someone that it feels good. Most people would assume our parents are our first love, but what if we are only attached.

Humans depend on others and that’s what makes the attachment. Think of it as a magnet. The magnet is the attachment and the surface it sticks to is the emptiness that others give.

Attachment = receiving and Loving = giving

Two polar opposites with the only difference is one is like petrol for your car, and the other is like a cosy blanket

2 Likes

I don’t want or need to fit in

Why should I walk with the crowd when I feel confident enough to go it alone?

I have my own mind, heart & soul

It’s taken me so long to realise who I truly am, I’m no longer the odd one out!

2 Likes

It sounds like you are talking about both romantic and non-romantic love. There are countless subcategories in both forms.

When it comes to romance, I think infatuation is often mistaken for love. In a lot of cases, infatuation evolves into love. At other times, it fizzles out. I think genuine and healthy love is evident when both partners are unconditionally committed to each other’s well-being and happiness. I think such relationships are quite rare. I think it’s more common for one partner to have a higher level of commitment to the relationship than the other. Love can exist in such relationships, but it tends to be more fragile.

Not all of it can be explained, even in very thick volumes.

The same thing is true of nonromantic love. A mother’s love is usually unconditional while the infant or child is more likely to feel attachment to what he perceives as necessary to remain comfortable.

Both giving and receiving can lead to attachment. From a different perspective, one can realize that giving and receiving actually yields an equitable exchange of energy in which the giver is spontaneously receiving and the receiver is also giving.

For example, I have cared for a lot of people, first as a nurse’s aide, then as a nurse. I found that inevitably, the more I cared for a person, the more I cared about them. Of course that means attachment. More than that, as I was providing care, my heart was feeling nurtured. Incredibly, I felt that even when the person I was caring for was uncooperative or hostile. So, I was in effect loving my patients while they were loving me and return. Rather than a case of give-and-take, it was one of give and give.

If people were like a car, they would need both the petrol and the blanket.

I’m not sure if it only applies to me or it’s a largely unrecognized trait of humanity, but while my peers exhorted each other to avoid attachment to the patients, I did just the opposite. That often made my interactions intense and emotional, with what I considered to be “sweetly painful” experience.

I worked long hours and was frequently physically exhausted, but I never felt emotionally burned out. Those who believed in avoiding attachment frequently did feel burned out.

I doubt that you are expecting this response from your posting, and I’m not even sure why I wrote it, but it felt right at the time.

1 Like

Such a liberating thought!

By being confidently independent, even without trying, you are a great asset to the world.

I read the quote below from Winston Churchill, UK Prime Minister during war time. It says:

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts" ~ Winston Churchill

There’s such a mixed bag of controversy here. Some could say that Churchill has oversimplified the meaning of success and failure. For starters, failure can be fatal and there’s always a chance that success can make people complacent.

1. Success is about innovating - however it’s easy to run out of ideas
  2. Having too much money can make people neglectful and careless
  3. Not seeking help for health early can be life threatening
  4. Failing to address issues in relationships can lead to breakups or arguments

All these points prove that it is infact easy to fall into the trap of success complacently and fatal failure. The question is, can we really avoid it?

1 Like

Simple truisms and generalizations are very rarely accurate, yet historically they have formed the bread-and-butter of political rhetoric, along with countless cultural norms. Besides, to every point, there will be a counterpoint, whether or not it’s truly valid.

Success and innovation are not the same thing. Imagine all those cartoonish films about early attempts at flying. Indeed, many have earned Darwin awards through innovative ways to fail. At the same time, there are plenty of well-to-do inventors.

Having too much money can make people neglectful and careless or stingy and fearful.

Seeking help for health can also lead to misdiagnosis, but that really is a worthwhile risk.

I gave up addressing issues in my previous relationship long enough for my kids to gain a degree of independence before we did break up. In other words, sometimes, it isn’t the right time to address issues if doing so will lead to even more tragic outcomes.

I’m pretty sure that a complacent perspective regarding success is a form of delusion. Having a delusion of success makes me think of the comment, “he’s a legend in his own mind.”

A lot goes into defining success. Many definitions of success don’t age well, such as materialism or social status. Those who are complacent are vulnerable to unanticipated adversity. Those who can figure out how to engage in times of contentment in the midst of adversity, certainly have a significant measure of success, in fact, the kind that cannot be taken from them. Some define success as nothing more than having a decent friend or two.

There is a thing called hedonic adaptation, which means that whatever level of success by whatever definition a person attains, they are subject to eventually becoming bored with it and their current level of success is no longer satisfying. Another way of looking at that is that there success, even without any change in circumstances, is no longer success.

Many people flip the perception and inner narrative about that phenomenon, and simply accept that new goals need to be set and that life is a constant process of personal evolution and gaining of wisdom.

Finally, to your question, how to avoid complacency? How about gratitude, meaning, and purpose? Appreciate and maybe even celebrate what is good in your life. Someone who has been hungry for a while may experience more joy from a fast food meal than some rich guy gets from a gourmet meal at a top restaurant. I think meaning can be connected to experience and interpretation. In other words, “why am I here, and why have I lived through this?” Finally, purpose, which actually connects experience with how you wish to fulfill yourself in the future.

I also consider the overarching purpose, “why does existence exist?” We can think of ourselves as bits of matter bouncing around the universe as though within a megalithic pinball machine, existing for no other reason than “why not?”

I think there’s more to it than that. Even if our origin was nothing more than an elemental omelette, our emergent consciousness allows us to choose a purpose. For me, that purpose is to share Love. I don’t think anything is more worthwhile than that.

1 Like

Hi everyone.

Here’s another poem I wrote entitled, In Patience’s Embrace

Hope you enjoy

Amid life’s rush, patience is a gentle sigh.

In its stillness, dreams take flight on high.

As the world spins, an anchor in the tempest.

A steady hand, on which our hopes rest.

In patience’s embrace, we’re truly blessed.

Within its grasp, life’s chaos is suppressed.

Guiding our souls, to be at our best.

Patience, the virtue that truly stands the test.

If anybody finds encouragement in this, please let me know

1 Like

Sharing love in the form of poetry is always encouraging.