Tired of my parents

Im tired of my parents trying to make me what they want me to be. They try to make me like girly things that I dont like and often try to force me into it. I dont understand why they do it. Cant they just except that I dont like girly stuff? Im fed up with it but im scared to say anything. i dont know what to do.

3 Likes

It can be really hard to feel you aren’t meeting someone else’s expectations, especially if they are trying to force them on you when you’ve made it clear you aren’t aligned with them. Hopefully your parents are doing this quite obliviously and not maliciously - in that case, maybe just remind and redirect them to say “hey, I don’t like x, but how about we do/get/look at y instead together?” It can be hard for a parent to get it “right” if they don’t know what it is you actually want. A little clear communication can go a long way in most situations! Maybe a heart to heart would help, either way you are an amazing individual just as you are. <3

2 Likes

Parental expectations can be tough to navigate at the best of times. You are an individual human being, and you deserve to do the things that make you happy, rather than living for someone else’s view. (Within reason; not condoning anything that harms other people.) They are likely coming from a place of love, and that love should cover you no matter what activity you participate in. Definitely let them know how you feel, and maybe give examples of things you would like to do.

4 Likes

Hey @sniffbork,

It sucks when our loved ones - especially parents - have expectations that are not ours. I’ve felt that many times with my family, through different situations. It felt like being misunderstood, but even more like they didn’t really know me. It hurts when you feel like you’re not really seen and known as you are. Even more if it feels like your parents don’t really listen to you.

I dont understand why they do it.

As parents, they certainly have their own representations of what would be good to you (or good in general). But they also have to learn to know you better. Your tastes are not theirs. It really sounds that a good discussion with them would be needed. For you to explain that you don’t like girly things. And for them to explain why this seems to be important to them. They certainly want the best for you. It’s just two different ways to see it. And each one is okay. But they have to respect the person you are. :heart:

In any case, know that you’re wonderful as you are. You don’t have to fit in any label. Only do and focus on what fulfills you and makes you happy. :slight_smile: :heart: I hope your parents will understand with time. And I hope you’ll help them understand through some honest communication.