Tired, Sick, but hanging in there

I finally went and got myself a “Propper” Teaching job with a public charter school. The problem? It’s a bad charter school and I’m not doing the job I originally applied for. I’m an art teacher by trade and yet I’m tutoring kids for the standardized test, something that I vehemently oppose. It stinks because I’m used to making lesson plans and letting kids express themselves while learning, but in this job, I simply have no chance to do that. It’s boring 30-minute small group sessions and no one has any room for deviation from the work. No child I work with is happy to see me, which is honestly pretty soul-killing.

On top of everything, I’m getting sick CONSTANTLY. I mean like once or twice a month. I’m fully vaccinated, but I cannot tell you how many covid tests my doctor has made me take because I just keep getting sick and running fevers. It’s not completely unexpected for me, I have something called Hypogammaglobulinemia, which means that my immune system is really bad at its job. But it usually doesn’t happen this much even. And THAT it’s because I live in Texas and our governor decided that kids don’t have to wear masks in schools. Also probably the stress of having a job that hurts my soul.

I’ve been looking desperately for art teaching but it’s all part-time. So I’ve widened the net a bit and started looking for pretty much anything art or teaching-related that’s full-time. I just can’t handle being the bad guy anymore, and I know I’m not capable of turning the entire school around from my lowly position. So I’m praying for an out where I won’t have to lose too much to switch.

6 Likes

I’m sorry that you’re stuck in such an unfortunate position. A friend of mine moved out of Texas a few months ago because of the political and economic situation. Are you on LinkedIn? There are several other job-search websites, and there is also the state employment agency. Is it possible for you to do private tutoring?

Stress does affect the immune system. If you haven’t already done so, research relaxation techniques, or some form of meditation. I spend a lot of hours listening to meditative music. Make sure your diet is balanced, and that you are getting enough rest.

Although you are administering a program you don’t approve of, I am pretty sure you are doing it in a way that is compassionate and less likely to have negative effects in those children, than other teachers might cause.

Hang in there! Your current circumstances will not last forever.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried linked in for job searches, though I do have it, so I’ll give that a try! But yes, I fully understand why your friend no longer wanted to live in Texas, I’m considering leaving the state myself due to the way that the state is handling everything. I definitely have some STRONG opinions about that haha. But despite it, I still love the town where I live now, even if parts of it are infuriating.

I have been slacking on diet and exercise, which I know are important for both mental and physical health. So I’ll have to work harder on that aspect. But I have been meditating at least!

And thank you. I genuinely hope you’re right. My biggest fear is causing damage to the kids. Especially after the likely traumatic couple of years they’ve been through.

2 Likes

Hey JoatheKatz,

EsRivs responded to your post today live on stream with some wonderful words of encouragement!

Here is a link to the video so you can see her reply yourself!

2 Likes

Hi JoatheKatz I’m sorry that you’re not enjoying your job. I hope you are taking precautions at work and wearing a mask and shield. Is there a way you could make this class fun? Be creative? Kids can pick up on our emotions pretty good, so if you’re not happy they will feel it. It just sets the whole mood. Making it fun could make it more full fulling. ~Mystrose

3 Likes

Hello JoattheKatz! I’m sorry you aren’t enjoying your job and you don’t see a way to make it a little nicer. You say there is no room for deviation but could you turn it in to a bit of a game for the kids? Have them draw their answers or try to answer questions before you draw something or really anything to incorporate your passion into the work and make it more enjoyable for you and the kids. I know it isn’t the job you want or the job you thought you were getting but maybe you can make it a little better until you find something you really want to do. No one likes studying for standardized tests so it probably isn’t that they don’t want to see you they just don’t want to learn what they have to. But if you can make it a little more enjoyable then you may become their favourite teacher which could also help you get an art teacher job because you would have people to give you good references about your ability to inspire the children. As for the getting sick part that’s really unfortunate that Texas is being so lax about Covid but is there a rule that you cannot wear a mask and face shield and sanitise your room and hands frequently to try and help keep yourself healthier? I still carry hand sanitizer with me everywhere and so do many others I see every day. I wish you all the luck in trying to find some joy in your current position and in finding a job as an art teacher so you can do what you love for your job. :hrtlegolove:

3 Likes

Hi Friend, Thank you for your post. It certainly sounds like you have got a lot on your plate that you would like to change, I can certainly understand that its frustrating to get a job and it not be what you expect and that can be a huge let down so your feelings are valid. With regards to Texas and the Mask situation, just because they say you dont have to wear a mask does not mean you shouldnt wear one especially with your compromised immune system please wear a mask and keep yourself safe. Its vital that you do so. I hope that yo can find something more in the future that will sustain you and keep you satisfied. Much Love lisa.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about your sickness as I can very much relate as I just dealt with cancer this past summer. Have you been able to network at all about other positions thst might be available outside of the school? I’ve found that to be a big help over my professional career when I’ve made a move. Even if there is someone who could mentor you that could be another option. Honestly just a couple things off the top of my head, but hold fast we love you and are here if you need anything at all! All the best- crazytrain116/Evan

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.