Tried plenty but not sure what’s next

A song for starters - Empty by Void of Vision since I just saw them again this past weekend.

So reaching out here out of love for music, Jake Luhrs and this whole deal here. Looking for advice as someone who has attempted therapy on 3 or 4 separate occasions over the years, but haven’t been able to accept the service. Where do you start when attempts at therapy are currently wasted energy because my opening up isn’t relieving any pressure. I’m a 30 year old dude and now that things are starting to affect me at work I’m trying to take it more seriously. I’ve talked to friends about my issues but I really just don’t accept peoples sentiments in regards to myself very well. That’s where I feel stuck right now. Any wise words lol?

2 Likes

Your perseverance is admirable. Continuing to search for success in therapy really shows your character. Therapy can be challenging, we wish it was as easy as sitting down on day one and making noticeable progress but this isn’t always the case. I hope you can find the strength to continue trying, and I know that eventually your efforts will pay off!

-SM

2 Likes

Hi!!!
Therapy is a complicated journey; it takes time to internalize people’s sentiments and help. It is a process of breaking down walls and accepting the help step by step. It can be frustrating at times but don’t give up! therapy can help you with so many things it is worth the try.

2 Likes

Hi friend!
First off, I think its an accomplishment in itself that you attempted to start therapy 3 or 4 times. That’s a huge step in the right direction and it helps so much to recognize when you need help. Trust the process and try to give therapy your best shot in order to gain the true benefits of the service. Keep pushing; it’ll get better, and hopefully, you will start to see improvement!

• Star :slight_smile:
2 Likes

Hey there friend!

I just want to thank you for being open and honest with us here. Jake has created a truly powerful community, and we are so happy that you’ve found us here.

Music can be so special, and it brings people together which is such a beautiful thing.

Therapy can be such an tricky thing, because it can take a long time to develop a relationship with your therapist where there is that crucial mutual trust. But I do urge you to try again and give it some time. Although it may take a long time to see the results that you want, it is a marathon not a sprint. And the rewards are well worth the time investment.

I find the song Marathon by August Burns Red to be extremely powerful for myself. Maybe it’s worth a listen or two!

We’re here for you brother<3

3 Likes

hey tripleM, welcome to the forum! i’m so glad you’re here and share the same love for music and the mission here. first of all, i want to say how incredible it is that you’ve pursued therapy a couple times. to be able to recognize when an outlet isn’t providing the benefits you’re looking for - in this case, relieving pressure through therapy - is a great chance to step back and ask why. do you feel like your connection with your therapist allows you to fully share what’s on your heart and mind? do you feel like you’re discussing the things you need to let out? whatever the obstacle may be, i know you’ve got this when identifying it! i used to have a suuuuper hard time advocating for my own issues. my obstacle was that i put others needs and feelings before mine so i barely got to the core of my issues in therapy which like… i’m paying for so why not take advantage of the service with full transparency, ya know?

i also wish you all the best with your work stuff. i know how hard that stuff hits so i hope you can take some time to decompress and care for yourself soon. i believe in you and i know you’ll overcome this feeling of being stuck! would love to hear any future updates you wanna share here on how you’re doing in your journey!

love,
twix

1 Like