UGH! Here We Go Again!

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted on this forum, but lately, I’ve been feeling passionless again. Everything feels like a chore; an obligation. Going to work, eating, reading, listening to music, and playing video games; are all things I’ve taken pleasure in doing. Now, I just don’t care. I don’t care at all. Even chatting with people. What can I do?

5 Likes

What has changed? Anything? If not, it’s you. There’s this thing called “hedonistic adaptation,” which means that once you get really used to a routine, it can become boring or less fulfilling. Vary your routine a bit. Try something you haven’t done before. Take long walks, or do something else physical. Exercise triggers “feel good” endorphins.

If these things don’t help, you really need to see a therapist. It’s best not to let yourself feel this way for too long.

On a brighter note, it’s been 7 months since you were here, which suggests that you’ve been doing okay for a while. How did you make things better 7 months ago?

1 Like

Hey there @Hufflepuffbruhv,

I’d like to echo what @Wings said in his post: is there anything that has happened in your life that could have initiated this shift? Sometimes when there’s more stress and worries in the badck of our mind, we slowly become accustomed to do things automatically rather than doing them intentionally, in a mindful way. Making slight changes in the areas you’ve mentioned, just in order to provide some novelty, could help you see if this is circumstancial or not. Find a new place to eat at lunch for example. Take different paths when you go to work and try to acknowledge what is new or what you like around. Try maybe a new genre of video games so you can challenge yourself a little more and enter into some kind of discovery mode. Overall, explore and diversify your options as much as possible.

On a different note, I’d encourage you to talk about this with your GP if you don’t see any difference over time and if it’s impacting your life negatively. Sometimes the absence of spark within can be tied to changes in our body that affect our general mood. I personally relate to what you describe because I struggle with a depression, and anhedonia (this lack of passion) is one of the symptoms I often deal with. In any case, it’s important to not push away the possibility to talk about this with a doctor, just so you could receive some help to identify the causes behind if it’s starting to really impair with your life.

I’m looking forward to reading some updates from you, if you are willing to share of course. Hold Fast. :hrtlegolove:

1 Like

I’d echo what the others have said here in that perhaps having a chat with your GP would be a good place to start. I know sometimes in my journey of medications ect I’ve needed a change here and there (I’m not sure if you are on any medications at all, but a general check up with the GP is always good).
I know sometimes things get stagnant and it’s hard to find enjoyment or motivation to want to engage with things that usually or used to being us enjoyment. It’s not an unusual occurrence. Sometimes I have to push myself to do something otherwise I’ll sit and be with my thoughts or I’ll lose motivation all together.

so what’s something to change up the norm routine? What are some ways you can feel a sense of something new and something to look forward to? Buy an outrageous Lego piece, or listen to some obscure music maybe, or maybe it’s just pushing to stick with what you know even if it’s just one small thing a day so you don’t lose steam. All in all the best advice I can still come back to is to check up with your GP and make sure you and your health are being looked after.

1 Like

hi there hufflepuffbruhv (awesome name btw!)

Good to see you again, and I hope that the last 7 months have been good and kind to you. Has there been anything new going on that may be affecting you in some ways? Wings and Micro have raised some excellent points, and I do hope that you can see a GP just to make sure that things are okay. Maybe there needs to be a tweaking of meds, or an addition.

Have you changes your routine recently or any new life events or developments? Glad that you’re here with us! Have you been trying out new hobbies, watching new streamers, etc? Would love to see you in HS streams if you’re into that! Hope that things will become better soon!

1 Like

Hello again, friend! It’s been a while. I know that you’ve been struggling lately but how have the last few months been?

Do you think that you need something new in your life to make you feel excited again? Perhaps trying a new hobby or trying to meet some new people. Sometimes when we get into ruts and routines it can be good for a bit but then can make it feel like nothing good is happening anymore because we just become bored and it can make us stop enjoying things we used to.

I want to echo the others in asking if things have changed lately in your life to make you feel less interested in your normal activities.

I hope you find some passion in your life again and you continue sharing with us whenever you like. Hang in there. You’ve got this :hrtlegolove:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.