Ways to help with insomnia?

my sleep schedule is all out of whack. kind of scares me since i know lack of sleep is when my depression starts to kick in. anyways, i wouldnt exactly call it insomnia cuz i can fall asleep eventually, but i’m usually going to bed around 5 or 6am, when i normally sleep around midnight to 1am. is there anything i can do to readjust my sleep schedule or help myself go to sleep at a desired time?

5 Likes

Well to start, when are you supposed to be getting up? Do you have time to sleep or is this a situation where you can’t fall asleep until these times otherwise?

2 Likes

Hi @mlssufan01
If you want my advise try some good tea for sleeping. There are these special types of tea that make you more sleepy. Just dont drink black or green tea they have the opposite effect. Another thing you might try is to have more physical activity. When your body is tired you will sleep better. It is also not very good to look at your phone when you are trying to fall a sleep unless you are watching asmr to fall a sleep. I will send you a video that works for me. Dont watch it just listen to it when you are trying to sleep.

2 Likes

Hey Missufan
Sorry about your sleep issues, I too have problems with sleep sometimes so Ill give you some links to some of the things I listen to, to help me. This is after a nice hot chocolate and a shower.
(15) Nighttime Ocean Sounds for Calm DEEP Sleep & Relaxation | 3 HOURS - YouTube
(15) 10 hour RAIN in the FOREST | BLACK SCREEN | Sleep, Relaxation and Meditation | Nature Sounds - YouTube
That’s just a couple of the things I like to listen to, to help me drift off, I do hope it helps.
Much Love
Lisa :heart:

1 Like

hi @mlssufan01 ,

i appreciate your openness with something almost everyone has struggled with at one point or another. most of the times my sleep schedule was thrown horribly off was due to my anxiety so finding help for that core issue did resolve things for my sleep.

for general sleep “hacks,” i’d suggest everything the amazing @Ashwell shared whether it’s sleepytime tea, exercise, ASMR, or even turning screens off before bed. another technique you could try is relaxing your muscles. one way to do this is to tightening up and releasing muscles from your toes upwards. so starting from your toes, you hold them tight for 10 seconds, release, and then tighten up your toes up to your knees, etc. until you end with tightening your whole body (even your face) and releasing.

there are so many combinations that can help you find sleep quicker and easier so i’m looking forward to hearing any updates on how things are for you. and heck, maybe try adding some of that sleepy time tea to your cart next time you’re out grocery shopping. hope you sleep a lil better tonight, my friend!

love,
twix

2 Likes

Hey there @mlssufan01

I’m going to give you some of my recommendations from experience. Some of these might be repeats from others. This would be my worknight routine from when I used to work 6am.

• Stop eating around 2 hours before bed, if getting hungry then you can have a light snack but try not to go to bed digesting foods.
  • Drinking a tea such as chamomile or sweet dreams(Bigelow brand) or sleepy time (Celestial Seasonings brand) about an hour before bed time.
  • Warm bath or shower especially if you are feeling sore or sinus issues.
  • Wind down the activity level to something like reading a book or watching a documentary or calm show.
  • When bedtime comes, turn on sleep sounds like rain or ambient noise, even a fan running helps
  • Put down the phone and close your eyes. If you have hard adjusting to falling asleep naturally audiobooks can be really great practice to close your eyes and just listen. (p.s. the sleep timer on the tv is great for turning devices, like tv after a few hours, same on audible app)

Other things I find that help is to get some exercise during day such as a good walk helps so my body will be tired too. I’m not perfect on sleep issues but I know I can get myself to sleep more regular with this routine.

Hope it helps/Mish

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.