What if you are 49 yrs old and still dont feel lik

This is a topic from YOUTUBE. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on YouTube.

Belongs to: Jake Luhrs and Therapist React to Snuff (Live) Corey Taylor
What if you are 49 yrs old and still don’t feel like you have a purpose in life?

1 Like

Age IMO is just a number. I’m going on 43 years old, and I feel like I’ve only truly lived the last 10 years. The first 33 were kind of a wash. When it comes to purpose in life, sometimes you don’t go out and find it, it finds you.

I would try and focus right now on a couple things: What makes you feel happy? What makes you feel whole?

That can give you kind of your starting point. Think of life as opening up the maps on your phone. You put in your starting point, which in this case could be happiness, wholeness, or whatever you choose. And the destination is purpose. You’ll see you get many routes, to the same destination. Along your journey there will be roadblocks, detours, slowdowns, but ultimately you’ll make it where you need to be.

Just remember, it’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey to that destination.

1 Like

What you are feeling is completely valid, and you are not alone! We as individuals find ourselves seeking more out of life than what seems to be “normal,” feeling lost in the rocky process along the way at times.

With these feelings, I would tell you to focus on these three things: Reflect on your passions, explore new activities, and set small goals for yourself. In considering the activities/subjects that interest you, or even trying something that can open up unexpected doors, breaking down larger aspirations can help you create a sense of accomplishment to build momentum toward something larger - a more defined, lively, purpose.

Life is full of endless opportunities, so to you, I say, take as many as possible! Even if the journey is not ideal, remember that the destination will be amazing. Good luck!

2 Likes

Age can be a tricky thing especially with all the pressure that society places on a person to reach a certain milestone at a given age, the great thing is that as long as you are living you can always discover your purpose, just look deep within yourself in find that thing that wakes you up in the morning, that thing you cannot stop talking about. Good luck with finding purpose because you have so much left to give!

2 Likes

There is often so much pressure to have everything figured out and to be noticed by others in order to feel meaningful and valued. Especially when it comes to age, we can feel rushed. I would encourage you to go out and try new things that excite you. You are never too old to go on new adventures, try new hobbies, make new friends, and more. I would urge you to say “yes” to any and all opportunities that come your way! Finding a purpose in life looks different to everyone; don’t be discouraged by others’ journeys. Instead, use it as inspiration to find and fall in love with your own. Good luck! <3

Yea, it’s hard to feel like somehow too much time has passed and it would be too late to try differently or even explore new paths in your life. It’s like you would have had chances before but are now pushed to your limits and wonders if it’s even worth it to try. To be fair, finding our purpose in life is a huge question and quest, certainly at any age too. Sometimes our journey doesn’t look like what we wanted it to be, and it feels like it’s tool ate to do something about it.

If anything, and maybe as a starting point, I would certainly try to challenge this thought that you’d be too old to figure this out or to feel more whole in your life. Just because this thought could potentially push you to sabotage yourself, or miss opportunities you would have seized otherwise. I think, no matter how old you are, finding our purpose is something deeply attached to the mindset we try to develop - and preserve. Personally I don’t know if I have any purpose and I have yet to figure it out if that’s the case. But I like to try to embrace life as it comes when the big questions feel too overwhelming. To remain curious and open to new experiences too, while acknowledging the wounds I carry. There are times when I would feel a sense of purpose when I work at a job I like and seems to make a difference in some people’s lives. Then at other times, my sense of purpose will be contained in one moment, or one vision - like seeing the smile of the person I love the most. It’s something that makes me feel like life is suspended, and I don’t need anything more than seeing this joy in them.

It probably sounds a bit cheesy… but all of this to say, that sometimes it can also be a matter of perspective. Eternity, meaning, completude and wholeness can be found in simple things, as much as greater objectives. It can be flexible, like an ever-changing experience, depending on where you look at, and what you choose to value.

All in all, it’s never too late to be on a road towards more self-discovery. It’s never too late to start, never too late to continue either. :heart: