Why do I have to feel like a burden to my friends all the time

I feel like I’m always asking for help, and to do things, and my friends seem like they are starting to get annoyed with it, and I feel like an awful person because of it. I have used them as the people to help me overcome my depression, but now it feels like I’m pushing them away when I am trying to reach out for help. I stopped talking to my family because of this feeling, and now I’m debating if it would be best to start cutting ties with my friends. They are all I have left to live for, and if I’m just a bother to them whats the point.

1 Like

Hey, I know exactly what you mean. I’ve been in this position as well. Cutting off your friends is not a good idea. It will only makes things worse for you. You’ll sink down even further. My advice is to cut back on telling them everything all the time. If they are true friends, they will always support you. There’s only so much a person can handle which I’m sure you know. It’s not their issue to own. It’s yours. I made the mistake of relying on my best friend to make me happy and get me through depression and anxiety. Now we aren’t really friends anymore because I became too much for it. It’s great you realize you may be pushing them away. While you’re with them, try to have fun and just live in the moment. If it’s serious then you should tell them. Tell them how much you appreciate them. Thank them. Turn to more outlets like journaling, singing, or even talk out loud to yourself. Sometimes it’s better to hear what we are thinking to come to a solution. Try working on solutions with them instead of just venting. YOU. ARE. NOT. A. BURDEN

Hi friend,

I’m sorry you’re having such a hard time and that it’s carrying over to your friendships. I have been there so many times. At one point in my life it was rough because I didn’t have a good circle of friends. I needed to cut ties. For another part of my life, my friends just didn’t know how to help me. They wanted to. They just didn’t know how. I was struggling so badly and needed more help than my friends could provide. And I didn’t blame them for that.

Is it possible at all to seek out a therapist that you could talk to safely about what you are going through? Maybe they could offer you gentle guidance for what you are going through and help you let your friends know how they can be of help to you. And maybe help you learn how to communicate to them in a healthy way so they can understand. It’s so hard. I’ve been there.

I’m sorry my friend. I hope that things start to get better for you. Just know that you are important and you matter! And I hope that you will keep reaching out here if you need a place to put your thoughts.

Hold fast my friend

• Kitty