I almost got into a fight with a Trump Supporter

I was at the laundromat yesterday with my mother folding laundry and I was watching the news that Trump was going to be impeached for a second time I told my mother I was glad and some idiot from across the aisle butts into my conversation saying I’m this and that we argued back and forth my mom intervened because she worried things would escalate. I had to stand my ground because he had no right to interrupt my conversation it didn’t involve him. I told my mother the extreme right of Trump Supporters are bullies they think just because they are armed they can say and act what they want and people will fear them and that’s exactly how a Fascist government works the demonization of the other. I’m a peaceful person but I cannot tolerate bullies or uneducated ignorant people acting out then its anarchy like what we saw at Capital Hill a few days ago its wrong by the words of the late Edmund Burke in order for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

3 Likes

I’m not one for politics but I am glad your mother was there to help intervene because it could have escalated. After everything that happened on the Capital everyone is tense and no doubt that trump supporter was the same as we all are. It was a scary situation no doubt and one that will definitely not go unpunished, and if someone ever comes to you like that I recommend to ignore them, because if you don’t that’s negative emotions beginning to build up that can hurt you later on. I’m glad nothing physical happened and you are fine as well as your mother. Stay safe.

7 Likes

I don’t feel we live in a free society anymore I feel we are in a Fascist State ever since Trump became president the country has gotten more towards the right and towards despotism. For the most part I have ignored and walked away but there are times that you cannot appease a bully that’s why they continue to get away with them because they don’t face consequences but your right its best to walk away.

Hi there!
Like @Sky-Trev said, I am glad that you mother was there to stop things to get Ugly.

I dont understand why people have to enter in the conversation that is not about them. I dont understand not now and I will never understand it.

I think that anyone is free to have a different opinion and we have to respect that, of course if that opinion isnt to hurt someone or somenthing like that.

And like I said before, the person that enter in the conversation with your mother, didnt have any reason to enter or to enter like that, there are better ways to enter in.

And like @Sky-Trev, the best you can do is to ignore them, because at the end of the day, people that act like that, want attention, so if you dont enter in their game and simply ignore them, the one that will win, will be you.

I hope that you have a great day and stay safe.

4 Likes

That really sucks, friend. That’s awful that they butt in your conversation with your mom. In the future, I’d recommend avoiding that confrontation and just say, “I wasn’t talking to you.” It’s abrupt and should stop them from trying to keep talking.

I 100% agree about the safety thing, especially with Trump supporters. I’m glad your mom was able to de-escalate things with that guy. Everyone has the right to their opinion, but not to be hateful and rude. I’m glad you were able to stay safe.

And, for what it’s worth, you didn’t do anything wrong. They were being a rude human by interrupting you in a conversation with your mom.

1 Like

Hey there Ranma,

I can totally understanding wanting to support your perspective, but I echo what have said, sometimes there’s a time and a place to discuss these things. In public, with a stranger, usually isn’t the right way to go about it.

If you think about it, nobodys minds are changed from argument. You never see a debate between two radically different ideas ending in the other side saying “Oh yeah, maybe you’re right, I’ll change right away”, it just doesn’t happen. Do you think that standing up to this person in this setting was going to change them? Was it going to change anyone else who might have been in the laundromat at the time?

You’ve got to remember that the MOST important thing here is your safety, not your views on current events. Getting into arguments with strangers can be incredibly dangerous. You don’t know them, you don’t know their views, you don’t know their history, and you have no idea what they might do if angered.

There is a time and a place to share your views, and a time and a place where the right people are listening to make a difference. A laundromat with a potentially armed and angered person is not the place.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.