I'm still here, and happier than ever. There is hope

For years and years, I’ve been hopeless. Decades of trauma, PTSD, anxiety, abusive relationships, substance abuse, suicidal tendencies and a failing marriage. But through the shitstorm, I’ve come out the other side happier than ever.

It took a lot for me to realize what I needed was help, and it was so difficult to set aside my pride to ask for it. I’ve been through a lot in my 31 years but I’m here to say it gets better. It truly does. You just need to ask for help. It’s ok to ask.

Since I was 13, I’ve dealt with sexual abuse, which I never truly got over even to this day, and it led me astray, on a path of falling into unhealthy relationships, not knowing how to set boundaries; it led me to substance abuse, suicide attempts, and years of hopelessness. It all comes down to that traumatic 5 years of consistent sexual abuse that broke my very being into a million little pieces and I lost sight of who I really was deep down. I was a shell. I still blame him, and I will never ever forgive - that’s just not something I’m comfortable with or capable of yet, but today I am proud to say that I’m alive and I’m finally happy.

It’s been a long hard journey. If you’ve followed along my posts, you know the gist of my story, but I’m so thankful for the support and the love that I’ve received here. Heart Support was my very first step to asking for help. This very forum allowed me to open up about all of the demons that I tried to silence on a daily basis with substances - it gave words to the emotions that I was feeling and opened up all of those wounds that just refused to heal. I did the work. I went through therapy, I took the medication, I read all of the books, I lost myself in nature, I made the difficult changes to my lifestyle, I got rid of everything and everyone that did not bring me happiness, and at the end, I found myself again.

Once I started my medication, I felt like I was evolving, changing on a deeper level, one that I couldn’t really even comprehend. The first few weeks were ROUGH, not going to lie to you. But I stuck it out and I came out so much better once the medication stabilized my mental health. I felt alive for the first time in so long. My mind was quiet, the sadness was almost gone, but I knew that I needed to do more to achieve the happiness I desired. I knew I had to leave my husband.

My husband was addicted to video games, and unwilling to better his or our life together. He was baggage that I just wasn’t strong enough to carry anymore. I filed for divorce and it was final in May of this year. He moved out shortly after, back home with his family states away, and with him out of the picture I finally started to thrive.

Since then, I’ve set boundaries with friends and family, allowed myself to be myself after all this time, opened up about things that I normally would have kept quiet about, did things that I wanted to do but was always afraid to. I’ve opened myself up to this world after being closed off from it for so long, just hiding and cowering in my fear. Now I’m smiling from ear to ear, excited for the future and making big plans.

I’m so much better than I was before, not fully cured, but better. And that’s progress. I never want to go back to the way that I was so I’m going to continue to the do the work so that I forge ahead and carve out the life that I have always wanted to live, no matter what. Nothing is holding me back now.

You can do it too, you know. It just takes a lot of work, a little time and a lot of faith that YOU can be the one to change your life.

Thank you to everyone that has helped me and provided words of encouragement along my journey. You are truly amazing, beautiful souls and I wish nothing but the absolute best for you.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your journey and the words of encouragement.

Hey friend,

I’m EXTREMELY proud of you. What you’ve done is not easy by any measure. But you’ve done it and you are still doing it.

Going through these crappy experiences and coming out on the other end is a transformational process and helps us become the best version of ourselves we can be.

I got chocked up when reading this because I’ve been through a lot of shit myself, but I, too, am still here and happy and stronger than ever.

In fact my name on here, which is my name on all my platforms, represents this.

I Am - two of the most important words in any language for what comes after shapes your destiny.

Reclaimer; from reclaim - to take a broken and damaged thing and return it to its former beauty.

I would say that you’re a reclaimer!

Thank you for your inspiration. You truly spoke to my heart with this post.

Keep up your good work. and feel free to join SWAT 5 on the HeartSupport server any time :slight_smile:

Hi there @Hiraeth :star2::smiling_face:

Estimated Reading Time: 10 minutes

For years and years, I’ve been hopeless. Decades of trauma, PTSD, anxiety, abusive relationships, substance abuse, suicidal tendencies and a failing marriage. But through the shitstorm, I’ve come out the other side happier than ever.

You’ve climbed a mountain in the last decade. That mountain hasn’t been easy to climb as you’ve been carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders. However, you’ve reached the top now and should be so proud of all your efforts! Climbing when you have so much weight on your shoulders and not giving up or quitting is inspirational.

It took a lot for me to realize what I needed was help, and it was so difficult to set aside my pride to ask for it. I’ve been through a lot in my 31 years but I’m here to say it gets better. It truly does. You just need to ask for help. It’s ok to ask.

Admitting you need help is one of the toughest things you will do in life. We all have a large ego and this almost always gets in the way of us when we struggle. I am very much similar in that I often don’t ask for help until I’m really struggling. Often I have to hit rock bottom first in order to be happy again and that’s okay. Your words of encouragement are extremely useful to someone going through a tough time - so thank you!

Since I was 13, I’ve dealt with sexual abuse, which I never truly got over even to this day, and it led me astray, on a path of falling into unhealthy relationships, not knowing how to set boundaries; it led me to substance abuse, suicide attempts, and years of hopelessness. It all comes down to that traumatic 5 years of consistent sexual abuse that broke my very being into a million little pieces and I lost sight of who I really was deep down. I was a shell. I still blame him, and I will never ever forgive - that’s just not something I’m comfortable with or capable of yet, but today I am proud to say that I’m alive and I’m finally happy.

Dealing with SA is difficult. In fact, dealing with any type of trauma is difficult and it’s often extremely hard to recover, but there is hope. You may have lost your way previously, but you’ve found it again and that’s super important. You’ve discovered who you really are and that takes a lot. Forgiveness is something that’s earned. Your happiness is great and should be your main priority.

It’s been a long hard journey. If you’ve followed along my posts, you know the gist of my story, but I’m so thankful for the support and the love that I’ve received here. Heart Support was my very first step to asking for help. This very forum allowed me to open up about all of the demons that I tried to silence on a daily basis with substances - it gave words to the emotions that I was feeling and opened up all of those wounds that just refused to heal. I did the work. I went through therapy, I took the medication, I read all of the books, I lost myself in nature, I made the difficult changes to my lifestyle, I got rid of everything and everyone that did not bring me happiness, and at the end, I found myself again.

This is the first time I’ve seen any of your posts, but it’s great you’ve found yourself a community here. It’s great you were able to ask for help here. Sometimes it does help to take comfort in the words and feelings of others - especially as it helps to know you aren’t alone. You’ve taken a lot of positive steps to help yourself and that’s great. I am so pleased for you.

Once I started my medication, I felt like I was evolving, changing on a deeper level, one that I couldn’t really even comprehend. The first few weeks were ROUGH, not going to lie to you. But I stuck it out and I came out so much better once the medication stabilized my mental health. I felt alive for the first time in so long. My mind was quiet, the sadness was almost gone, but I knew that I needed to do more to achieve the happiness I desired. I knew I had to leave my husband.

It’s great to hear that medication helped you and gave you a new lease of life. I’m so pleased that you found something that worked on your favour. Although divorce is never easy, it’s a positive step in the right direction to get you the healing that’s needed to live a happier life

My husband was addicted to video games, and unwilling to better his or our life together. He was baggage that I just wasn’t strong enough to carry anymore. I filed for divorce and it was final in May of this year. He moved out shortly after, back home with his family states away, and with him out of the picture I finally started to thrive.

I’m sorry to hear about your ex-husbands addiction to video games. However I feel like you’ve made the right choice. I’m glad that his departure has given you space to thrive.

Since then, I’ve set boundaries with friends and family, allowed myself to be myself after all this time, opened up about things that I normally would have kept quiet about, did things that I wanted to do but was always afraid to. I’ve opened myself up to this world after being closed off from it for so long, just hiding and cowering in my fear. Now I’m smiling from ear to ear, excited for the future and making big plans.

It’s great that you’ve set boundaries with loved ones and allowed yourself to be free and more open. You’ve also explored the world more. So excited to see what the future holds.

Thank you for your words of encouragement. You can do it too! :purple_heart: