I've never heard Chop Suey

This topic represents a Youtube video that was created by Heartsupport and where users are invited to open up about their mental health struggles.

• → You can’t reply on this post. If you want to comment, check out Heartsupport on Youtube instead! Replies posted here are from users who commented on Youtube.
  • → When a Youtube user is in need of support, topics are created for them in this forum category, where you can encourage them.

First time hearing System of a Down’s Chop Suey, therapist, @taylor analyzes the lyrics and breaks down how they guide us to understand and accept ourselves and others.

1 Like

System of a down will always and forever be my all time favorite band but I also think chop suey is not there best song

1 Like

This is such a unique song in every way but they totally made it work and that’s why System of a Down is an absolutely special band

1 Like

Love your reactions!..

1 Like

This song is absolutely timeless and I loved your reaction! That got serious quickly, right? It’s such a perfect mix of amazing vocals & harmonies, the lyrics are fantastic, and the video just wraps everything up so nicely.

1 Like

I’ve grown to love watch you break down these songs! New subscriber!

1 Like

I’ve always loved this song but never understood the lyrics well enough. It fits really well for anyone who has gone through toxic religiousity.

1 Like

i love how ready you were to spew out your interpretation on the song and your confidence with it. im sure the band would love to see different people coming up with different interpretations like this.

1 Like

Your reactions are so pure :ok_hand:

1 Like

Hello, if You want to talk about mental health, listen to Hi Ren by Ren :slight_smile:
Warm greetings!

1 Like

Have you reacted to KoRn yet? Their music is amazing, it serves as my therapy & has for over 20 years, my favorite band of all time. They essentially pioneered this genre Nu Metal back in the early 90’s, & they’re huge advocates of mental health. Definitely check them out!

1 Like

An entire generation of alienated youth who were hurting inside found healing in bands like SOAD because they didn’t feel as alone anymore. You could see it in that crowd, iirc they put a “casting call” to their fans saying hey show up if you wanna be in our music video.

1 Like

Originally they were going to call the song “American Chop Suicide” but the record label had them change it because it would be really difficult to get air time on mainstream platforms. So they code named it Chop Suey. Daron Malakian (lead guitar) said when he wrote the chorus out he was thinking of all the people who die from a drug overdose or suicide (he has struggled with both) and where do we get the self-righteousness to label it as something they deserved or did to themselves? Mind you this came out at the start of the opioid crisis.

1 Like

Internal battle…yess… like when i eat chop suey

1 Like

Please​:pray: react to empty walls - Serj Tankian :metal::fire:

1 Like

Me encantó su reacción :+1::fire::black_heart:

1 Like

the song is about how we’re regarded differently depending on how we die.
we judge people harder or have a lack of sympathy depending on the death, Daron (the guitarist) used an example saying “if I were to die of drug abuse, people would say I deserved it for abusing drugs in the first place, hence the line ‘I cry when angels deserve to die.’”
the religious aspects make much more sense when you take this into account too.
the song turns it around and emphasizes the choices that someone makes aren’t always tied to their value as a person.
and in return, the one who knowingly harms themselves, can be viewed as more righteous than the person who high-handedly judges others with a lack of compassion.
it’s such an important topic, even today.

1 Like

system of down - toxcity.

1 Like

Huge system fan…probably not the best band to analyze due to their lyrical obscurity…if u react to another one maybe toxicity or arials might be up ur alley…

1 Like

As a fellow German psychotherapist I can only agree with you on everything! What a powerful catharsis metal can be! Keep on rockin’!

1 Like