Slowly Getting There

Recently I’ve been making an effort to eat healthier and indulge in more of my creative outlets that I’ve neglected for a few months, such as writing and drawing.

I really wanna hit the gym every day but the doctors say I’ll never drive because of my autism + dyspraxia, so I’m trying to figure out how to get there on my own. It’s gotta be out of the area cause I don’t want to run into people I went to high school with.

I had been struggling with my identity for the past 4 years, but have finally come to terms with the fact that I have severe body dysmorphia, not gender dysphoria. It was hard to figure out, but I couldn’t be happier with my mental health regarding that now.

I’m still exhausted socially and some days i just want to be a bit lonely, you know? I know things are going to get worse before they get better.

3 Likes

Hey Friend, Thank you for this post, That all sounds so good. I love the fact that you are trying so hard to make postivie changes in your life and are finding new and fun things to do with your time that is brilliant.
I am so sorry that the doctors have said you cannot drive but it might be worth looking into seeing what discounts you can get at a gym and for travel if you have autism and dyspraxia and you are not able to drive, In the UK where I live you can get a travel card if you have a disability then you could go anywhere you choose to work out.
I can relate to you wanting to be lonely sometimes, it is exhausting to be around other people. I know personally that if I spend long around other people, I feel like that steal any energy I have and I cannot wait to get home and its not because i dont want to be there.
I think what you are doing is awesome and I wish you the very best of luck and i would love to hear how you are getting on.
Much Love Lisa. x

1 Like

Hi there DeVille,

Thank you for this great progress post! It sounds like you’ve done a lot work to make progress, and It is wonderful to see that shared here. I applaud you for being motivated to go the gym, and also expressing yourself and taking care of yourself!

I am hoping that this post helps motivate and encourage others who are on similar journeys. Being exhausted socially may be something some of us are feeling more now too, and being alone home chiiling seems far more comfortable and quiet. I get that. Hoping you can find a happy balance, friend! You matter, glad to meet you!

2 Likes

Hello, DeVille, and welcome back to the forum. It sounds like you have been really working hard on yourself and that is wonderful!

That’s great that you are trying to get to the gym and work out. I hope you find a way to get to a gym that you feel comfortable exercising in and around people besides those in your past that may bring up bad feelings.
I hope that you can get back into your writing and drawing and if you ever feel like sharing some of your stuff on here I know people on the forum love seeing other’s creative selves so please feel free to share.

Being alone can be so freeing and sometimes lonely days can really charge your batteries so that you have more energy for those times you choose to spend with others. I hope you continue improving yourself and keep us updated on your life. Keep going :hrtlegolove:

1 Like

I know things are going to get worse before they get better.

This is a very strong thing to be aware of. Just a wise way to be honest with yourself – working on ourselves is hard by definition. Sometimes it’s freaking exhausting, even painful. But you are definitely getting there, without any doubt!

I really wanna hit the gym every day but the doctors say I’ll never drive because of my autism + dyspraxia, so I’m trying to figure out how to get there on my own. It’s gotta be out of the area cause I don’t want to run into people I went to high school with.

This is a wonderful way to take care of yourself and even maybe build more acceptance with your body over time, as long as you make sure to not overwork yourself of course! Having body dysmorphia, exercising has been a trap for me in the past – it gives an illusion of control while really it’s important to be an ally to our own body, to recognize how much it’s able to take care of itself too.

Since you’ve posted, have you managed to find a way to go to the gym on your own? Could public transports be an option maybe?

If you need help and accountability to work on these personal goals, I’d also encourage you to have a look at our action groups on Discord (info > HERE <). It may or may not be something that would be interesting for you – that is definitely up to you to decide! Just sharing this as a resource that is available as well.

So very proud of you, friend. You’ve been putting so much efforts into doing the work that you need in order to feel better with yourself. You got this. :hrtlegolove: