Sleep Token - Ascensionism - Therapist Reacts

This topic represents a Youtube video that was created by Heartsupport and where users are invited to open up about their mental health struggles.

• → You can’t reply on this post. If you want to comment, check out Heartsupport on Youtube instead! Replies posted here are from users who commented on Youtube.
  • → When a Youtube user is in need of support, topics are created for them in this forum category, where you can encourage them.
1 Like

Hell yeah! :metal: Great message Taylor!

1 Like

By far the best band to come out since Jinjer. Spiritbox is nice as well, but Sleep Token has upped the game for everyone else. This album is a masterpiece from start to finish, but to truly appreciate these guys (two guys) Because Vessell plays everything but percussion (on the albums) and Vessell II is unreal as well, is to listen to their 3 albums trilogy from start to finish & treat yourself to One & Two EP’s on the side. There are no bad songs, just bangers. These guys know what the f*ck they’re doing.

1 Like

This is a really uplifting message… I wish I could see it this way. I’m a bit of an empath, and while I agree that this song offers that 3rd option that you so beautifully and expertly articulated, I fear that the subject of this song did not choose that path. There’s a screamed lyric in there that I think often gets overlooked. He screams, “You’re going to watch me ascend,” which tends to make me think that he strived for that 3rd option, but since it was out of spite, and not self-preservation, it is empty and hollow. Which is why the lyrics that follow it are so hollow and lonely sounding: “And I know what you want from me, you want the same as me, my redemption, eternal ascension, setting me free,” and then theres a role reversal from the first time he sang these lyrics, earlier in the song. Earlier he sings, “YOU take what YOU want and leave.” After that, he says, “I’LL take what ‘I’ want then leave.” I think he repeated her sins right back to her, and did it out of spite, which is what makes him wish he could disappear. He realized that his ascension to look above the strife was made ONLY in an attempt to hurt someone else, and it is therefore wrought with failure and self-loathing, where it could have been so fulfilling… so, while I agree about the 3rd option, as an empath, I REALLY feel the shame and anger in those final lyrics, wishing he could disappear…

1 Like

Your breakdowns, and perspective are great. Thanks!

1 Like

I know this suggestion is a HUGE departure from your usual stuff, but I would love to hear your thoughts on Floor Jansen’s solo album “Paragon”. It’s really difficult to pick a song from it, there’s so many great lyrical and musical moments on it.

1 Like

You’re going to watch me ascend! Says it all.

1 Like

The very first time I heard “you make me wish I could disappear,” it legit brought tears to my eyes.

1 Like

This song made me cry like a baby the first time I heard it. It still tugs on my heart every time. It just connects to my soul in a way no other song has.

1 Like

It would probably make more since if you listened to Sundowning’s songs since they’re the most in need of a therapist.

1 Like

I actually think this song is about mis’shspen ego and our obsession and being captured by the digital realm I.e internet. Basically it’s about being blissfully caught in a house of mirrors. Diamonds in the trees pentagrams in the night sky. Cell phone towers and satellites. Basically. Self centered possession. And it’s so subtle because the song is damn near perfect. And yet blissfully fall victim to it.

1 Like

wow! I literally felt the same vibe from this song but you took it to a whole other level.

1 Like

This is absolutely my favorite Sleep Token song, I love it so much

1 Like

God I just want to hug Vessel. Listening to his pain causes me pain.

1 Like

This song breaks me in every way possible. His scream before “you make me wish I could disappear” has so much pain.

1 Like

I like your take on this song, …and what a beautifully written song it is. I’d like to offer another take on the line, “diamonds in the trees, pentagrams in the night sky”. When I heard that, I immediately paired it to the subject being blinded by the beauty of what they wanted the relationship to be, but not seeing the dangers beyond that. They are unable to see the evil behind the beauty which is being brightly shown by the other person in order for them to get what they want…then leave

1 Like

You should do Alkaline…

1 Like

Thank you for this reaction. I love Sleep Token and this song. I never really understood why it stuck with me until now. This was me and my ex-fiancee. I don’t think that I could recognize how evil that relationship really was until watching this video. It brought tears to my eyes (especially “You make me wish I could disappear”). That was heavy. Again, thank you for the free therapy!:joy:

1 Like

Not me crying. For real though, it hit me so hard. I have been fighting this cycle for 17 years.

1 Like

This song almost precisely talks to me about all my relationships. I have always been a healer or stepping stone for someone to become either better people or find the right person. Never feels like I have been the right one for them. Love this song

1 Like