It's Too Scary To Be Alone - John Floreani of Trophy Eyes

This topic represents a Youtube video that was created by Heartsupport and where users are invited to open up about their mental health struggles.

• → You can’t reply on this post. If you want to comment, check out Heartsupport on Youtube instead! Replies posted here are from users who commented on Youtube.
  • → When a Youtube user is in need of support, topics are created for them in this forum category, where you can encourage them.

John Floreani sat down with us to talk about his experience with finding a therapist, his past drug use, and what it’s like to feel alone.

2 Likes

Sounds like my mental health without the drugs and alcohol. It’s rough I hope you keep learning John, stay strong!

I love Trophy Eyes, and really appreciate him speaking so openly about this. I’ve had horrible experiences with psychiatrists too, it took me 10 years to finally find one who would help me get the proper diagnosis and treatment. I’m not sure how the mental healthcare systems differ between the US and Australia, but it sounds like they need improvement all around.

1 Like

Been my favourite band since 2013,
I love John and I appreciate his openness. The boys’ music has helped me through so much. I struggle with being alone and had the same experience with insomnia ruining my life. Unfortunately i no longer have who I found peace in but I’m Thankful to have met you recently and get the chance to thank you in person. Stay well boys :heart:

1 Like

That’s the thing that I’m trying to fight now atm. Being dead it’s not the thing that I’m afraid of but can’t sleep it’s the thing that really scares me now, especially when you can’t sleep but the thoughts keeps running and running and you can’t do anything it just can’t stop and it messed me up. Heartbroken and how I cope it it’s the thing that cause this and I’m still fight with that

John you did an amazing job in Adelaide, thank you for keeping the energy so high and being so honest to the whole crowd, we all appreciated it so much

1 Like

I cannot fathom spending a whole appointment listening to John Floreani and coming out of it thinking “yes, this man’s brain is perfectly healthy.” That makes my blood boil. I know he said he let it go but I hope he doesn’t because not knowing what’s wrong with your brain doesn’t make you not have the problem, it just makes you feel like shit.

1 Like

You are brave to open up about all this. And thank god you didn’t commit suicide… it takes a strong person to not do it.
So you have that strength in you!!! So proud of you!! You ve got so much to give to this world … and what you said: don’t do this to your parents… ever! It s the worst thing that could ever happen to a parent to lose a child. :black_heart: Rock on John! You got this

1 Like

“Compared to your parents having to bury you, it’s incredibly fucking easy to talk to someone”.

Damn, man. That hits hard. I hope everyone I know - and strangers I don’t - are able to talk. Whether to loved ones, or me, a random person on the internet. The more we talk, the less alone we feel, because we’re social creatures who feel like there is so much more stigma than there really is. It’s not bottling it up that’s impressive or strong, it’s talking, man. I was never brave enough to talk when I battled mental health problems, and when I hear people still struggling - as honestly as I talk about the issue now - I don’t think you’re weak; I think you’re strong as fuck. Honestly. They’re braver people than me, and John’s right: it IS much harder to lose someone to mental health problems than to talk about them.

2 Likes

Thank you for this John. I don’t think I could relate much more than I do to the things you shared. I appreciate the depth of your honesty more than I can explain. So many things you said, I really needed to hear at this moment. Hope your healing continues and same to all here struggling. I lost my father to suicide 10 years ago in October and it still very often feels like yesterday. That pain is so real for the ones who love us. You hit the nail on the head when you said it’s beyond easy in comparison to parents burying their children (or parents to this). Much love man and congrats on the new album. It’s helped me so much in the short time I’ve had the songs but I’m positive so so many others have had the same experience! Much love everyone 🫶🏼

1 Like

I will always have endless respect for John and the rest of Trophy Eyes for always being so raw, honest and open about their struggles. It helps so so many of their fans to know they’re not alone

2 Likes

If you see this, much love man

1 Like

We’re here with you brother.

1 Like

I appreciate this video…

1 Like

Crazy how he’s saving lives now. We love you John :heart::heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

I fully believe there are mental health professionals, therapists and counselors that should not be in that field, especially one that is so detrimental to certain people. I have experienced something similar after getting in trouble in my youth telling court mandated counselors about my issues and they only wanted my money and almost took it as a joke. I also fully believe that to cope with mental illness it starts with physical health I didn’t start turning my life around until I just started running one day and that transitioned into a gym membership which ultimately lead to achieving bigger goals whilst giving me a more clear mindset on how to get to those goals.

1 Like

6:23
John you talking about this… Is exactly how i felt and still feel, im only 26 and went to see you at the edge hill tavern only a couple weeks ago, i still dont want to live but cant do anything myself.
So i drown myself in drugs and alcohol. The say your not a man till 27, but next year im pretty sure i will still have no idea what to do.

1 Like

Been through the same experience on the Gold Coast when I lived up there for 6 years… constantly told nothing wrong with me and have I tried exercise… haven’t had “professional” help since

1 Like

Amen brother ! Can relate to this :pray:

1 Like

Trophy Eyes is my favorite band. You have helped me and many others through so much shit in life. I love you guys, thank you for your beautiful music. We love you John.

1 Like