Therapist Reacts - Not Without my Ghost by The Amity Affliction

This topic represents a Youtube video that was created by Heartsupport and where users are invited to open up about their mental health struggles.

• → You can’t reply on this post. If you want to comment, check out Heartsupport on Youtube instead! Replies posted here are from users who commented on Youtube.
  • → When a Youtube user is in need of support, topics are created for them in this forum category, where you can encourage them.

View Media:

Our very own Taylor is a therapist. She also loves all things metal music. So we thought let’s take both of those things and start a therapist reacts series!

In this video Taylor is reacting to Not Without my Ghosts by The Amity Affliction

2 Likes

Loving these “Therapist Reacts” videos! Keep 'em coming!

1 Like

Therapist from the UK here. Loving this series. Maybe do ‘The Atlantic’ by Sleep Token next? Or DYWTYLM by the same band?

1 Like

Can you react to Like Love by the Amity Affliction? It was written for the clean singer after his friend (Sean Kennedy, also was in a band) killed himself. The video is really intense

1 Like

This series is awesome, please keep making more videos like this! :heart:

1 Like

You need to react to all of Amity’s work. Please

1 Like

More of this! Amity Affliction is excellent and this is great content.

1 Like

Thank you for this!:heart: definitely do more reactions to these guys. Drag the Lake was where they got me hooked. Each song is that song for someone out there. Having you explain the songs connects them even deeper and proves we are not alone…

1 Like

Thanks for the amazing video, you made me cry until my shirt collar soggy and I needed it I think maybe I ever have my whole life. I’m excited to get up tomorrow and share this with a couple other people I know will also come apart over it! It’s a cause too often left behind and I’ve never heard anyone put the ideas out there in that light, but in fairness, I never do any type of “therapy” either. I’ve never thought of a therapist as a fellow passenger on the struggle bus, and that hit as hard as the song. Thanks a million! Take care!

1 Like

honestly loved your reaction, i enjoy reactions and i enjoy hearing about this music through a therapist lens, and i agree that this song is actually pretty positive, one of their strongest songs from an emotional point of view for me is I Hate Hartley but there is also positivity in that song too, i do agree with you about acceptance

would love to see you react to earth callers song alone, its always been a very powerful song to me

1 Like

When you said it feels like there a dark cloud over you for so long you forget what the sun looks like. Thanks doc😭now I’m balling my tears out because that’s spot on. Been listening to TAA for a little bit, fairly new to metal as well. Found them and for the first time in over a year I was able to get this feeling out of my self that was just pure anger aimed at no one. So they have been helping a lot and had the worst news in a while hit me yesterday at work. But as weirdly as the universe or whatever works I find out that TAA is having a meet and greet in my town 17 mins away. Finding that out was the best news I’ve gotten for well over a year.
Anyway if anyone got this far into this rant I’m sorry, don’t have anyone else to tell this too that I went from my lowest feeling in well over a year to the happiest within a few hours.
Hope for the best for anyone down here reading❤️

1 Like

i remember when i had 13-15 years old listening TAA chasing ghosts, oh my god, good times…

1 Like

You hit it dead on. Great reaction and analysis. I would love to have you as a therapist, you seem to address these issues in a way that could help me and alot of people.

1 Like

They are university educated, amity is emotion… its tell you something.

1 Like

This song been on repeat for awhile :heart::ghost:

1 Like

I recently lost my wife and 8 years ago one of my sons. This song, your reaction and suggestions on dealing with grief were helpful to me. Thank you

1 Like

Maybe I’ve not checked enough, but I’d love to see more breakdowns of Amity Affliction. Like many I found them via Pittsburgh. But all their songs are very emotionally open and something I’ve loved as I grew older.

1 Like

We played this at my husband’s funeral on June 29th 2023. This was one of “our” songs because we were the only two people that recognized these feelings and problems and could be honest with each other. With everyone else we both had to put on a face, or felt we had to. We connected over those scars 9 years ago and become best friends and then soulmates for 8 years. He passed away extremely suddenly on June 22nd 2023 while we and his brother were out celebrated wjat felt like all three of our lives were getting better. We all had new jobs that were going well. Joey, my husband and his brother, Jon had rekindled their family bond after a rift in the family and we had all moved back home with each other. The sun was finally shining for us all. Then suddenly, he collapsed at dinner and just passed away. I am completely lost. I pray EVERY DAY that I get to join him soon. This song gave us both comfort and understanding. It hurts to hear it at first, but it still gives me some minutes of rememberence and comfort, which is now more precious to me than life itself or all of the riches in the world. Thank you for covering this song. Excellent reaction and commentary.

1 Like

“Everyone love you… once you leave them” would be a much better album to talk about/ touch on/ relate with, or even the first two tracks of this album. Such heavier on the heart lyrics, imo🤷🏻‍♂️

1 Like

TAA and metalcore music has got me through a lot of tough stuff in life. I came to the conclusion that I would likely never be completely happy, I will always be a little depressed and that isn’t necessarily a bad thing if I can learn to manage it. What has been good is to stop trying to be societies version of a happy person and to stop trying to make my friends that way too(who naturally struggle too).

1 Like